1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This News?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 11, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

From The Hollywood Reporter (abbreviated for length by poster)
    Fox reality show roils East Texas town
    By Paul J. Gough
    June 11, 2007
    NEW YORK -- An upcoming Fox reality series about a model-turned-TV journalist is causing a stir in the East Texas city where "Anchorwoman" is being produced.
    Model Lauren Jones arrived last week in Tyler, Texas, for a 30-day stint at KYTX-TV, a CBS affiliate, that will include co-anchoring the 5 p.m. newscast today. Jones, who was cast for the show by Fox 21 and the G Group, has been undergoing behind-the-scenes preparation as a reporter and anchor, her every move taped by a 40-member crew. "Anchorwoman" will run on Fox beginning in late August.
    Jones is a swimsuit model and actress whose credits include WWE's "SmackDown!" and "The Guiding Light." She has no journalism experience; the show will be about whether Jones can hack it in TV news. She arrived in Tyler a week ago and has been put through what a station official calls intensive training in how to read a TelePrompTer and report stories on her own.
    This is the first time that a reality series will feature someone with no journalism experience who will be thrust into a job surrounded by real journalists. It has raised concerns inside and outside KYTX.
    "One of the last sacred grounds of integrity in local television is the local newsroom, so I guess I would say I'm disappointed to see a station, much less one in our own community, that has evidently sold its integrity," said Brad Streit, vp and GM for KLTV-TV, the ABC affiliate in Tyler.
    KYTX station president and GM Phil Hurley shrugs off the criticism, pointing Friday to the big story on cable news.
    "Journalism credibility? I think that's somewhat amusing when all I see today on the cable news is Paris Hilton, nonstop," he said. "This is a TV show. It's going to be a comedy. They just chose to shoot it at our station."
    Hurley, whose station features Stormy the Weather Dog in every newscast, said it isn't the money that's driving him to participate. (The station and the participants are being paid to appear.)
    "As the new guy in town, we saw it as a promotional tool to show a lot of sampling in our newscast," Hurley said.
    The project, more than two years in development, has been controversial from the get-go. A leaked concept video showing a "Simple Life"-like treatment to Tyler found its way to YouTube, irking residents who didn't want to see their city lampooned. Tyler is a city of about 100,000 halfway between Dallas and Shreveport, La.
    Hurley said he rejected that idea out of hand well before the video got to YouTube.
    "We're a middle-market television station and town, and we're not hillbilly heaven here," he said. "It's a middle-class, upper-middle-class town that really is a great place to live, and we thought it would be fun to have Tyler shown off." One depiction called the show "Tiny Tyler in Nowhere, Texas."
    "Some community people were not happy to see some of the references that would be negative toward the city, making it look like a backwater, hick type of place," said Tom Mullins, president and CEO of the Tyler Area Chamber of Commerce.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There's a difference between a journalist and a news reader... Exhibit A....

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I've gotta say I love the GM of the competing station taking the high road. I'm guessing KLTV-TV in Tyler, Texas isn't exactly the BBC World News.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

So would it make you feel better if he heartily endorsed his competitor's nose-thumbing of the journalistic profession?

5. John

John Well-Known Member

6. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I've got serious stuff to get worked up about. The "nose-thumbing" of whatever journalistic ethics exist at the Tyler, Texas CBS-TV affiliate wouldn't crack the top 100.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I recall "The Surreal Life" did the same type of thing with a station in San Luis Obispo with Florence Henderson anchoring and reports by a Playboy model, a former rock front man and Sherman Hemsley doing the weather.
    As for the show, I think you are either a serious news operation or you are not. There is a reason no networks or local news shows are ripping off the PBS-style. I don't have a problem with selling out to get ratings or sell a newscast, but don't try and have it both ways. There is a reason there is a lot of eye candy on local broadcasts and its not because it gives a station "credibility and integrity."

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted