1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this news with an agenda?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Aug 7, 2008.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm watching the local 5 o'clock news and the anchorwoman goes into a story with this gem:

"People on the Northwest side say Asian gangs are bringing violence to their area. One home has been shot up in the past few years. Police say they have stepped up their presence in that area. Alderman XXXXXXXXX says he will personally try to get a handle on the violence in that neighborhood."

With some video of people out in front of a house, that's the entire story. So I'm lsft to wonder ...

"One home"? "Past few years"? How the hell is one home being shot up in the past few years a "trend" to be worthy of a story?

WTF? I'm guessing this is an agenda-driven story to appease the folks in another part of the city that's actually like a war zone and gets all the bad coverage it deserves.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Are they trying to tie it into their Olympic coverage? Hell yes, it's an agenda story. How is the alderman going to "personally get a handle" on the problem?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"It's those damn immigants"

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Considering it was "one house shot up" over the "past few years," I think he'll first have to really find the problem.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

He better go study for his test.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When they do a story about gang activity, do they always indicate the race/ethnicity of the gang/s?

7. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Because there's never been a white gang. White kids work hard, just like soccer players.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Even when it was the bears, I knew it was them!

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I think ascribing an agenda to a clearly idiotic 5 o'clock newscast is perhaps too generous.

I'm not sure the folks who produce that newscast are intelligent enough to have an agenda. Granted, I haven't seen it, but I've seen enough like it.

I'd say it's an alderman with an agenda who recognized an easy way to get it out and lend it the "legitimacy" of TV news. Dumb as those broadcasts are, a lot of people still take them seriously.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Not having seen it, here's an educated guess:

It sounds a lot like a package (an inclusive taped piece with reporter track and sound bites, telling a story in 1:00 to 1:30) that has been cut down to a vo or vo/sot :)20 to :40 seconds, read by anchor) for another newscast.

I would guess it made some sense in its original form and was later cut down to a form in which it was out of context and made no sense.

It's far more likely it was incompetence-related than agenda-related.

11. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Damn it. I thought this was an MSNBC thread.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It's definitely poorly done. I'd like to see more of a pattern before I said it was a deliberate agenda instead of incompetence, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted