1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this news? Tax troubles of accused police officer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Scout, Jul 23, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He underreported over $464,000 of income, owes almost $22,000 in unpaid taxes (not even counting the interest and penalties incurred), and was apparently voting illegally in Florida.

This is newsworthy no matter who does it. Add in that he’s a police officer — someone whom we expect to uphold the law, not flagrantly violate it — and that he’s accused of murdering a man over a counterfeit $20 bill … yeah, this is a significant story,

studthug12 and Dog8Cats like this.
  2. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Not only is it newsworthy for the reasons already discussed, but one of the criticisms of the Minneapolis police department is that so few officers actually live in the city. Investigating why that is the case is important to the overall story of what's happening with Minneapolis police.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

OK... you guys win.

I’m a hard yes that this is news.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Not going to pile on since Scout has went no mas but yeah, news.

The killer cop is more of a criminal then George Floyd and it makes me wonder how many other cops in Minneapolis and elsewhere for that matter are evading taxes.

My suspicion is most of them. Off-duty security is a scam and the cops know it and dive in head first.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot, pal. For once a thread was gonna end well. :)

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Pretty much whenever a police officer is documented as being untruthful - they're gone. They can't testify in court. Lie to a superior, fellow officer, whomever, and it gets documented - they are done. Doesn't have to be under oath or anything.

7. It's newsworthy. He is a public figure by virtue of being charged. I have no sympathy for his family.

Draft saved Draft deleted