1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this news? Tax troubles of accused police officer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Scout, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Former Minnesota Police Officer Derek Chauvin Charged With Tax Evasion : Live Updates: Protests For Racial Justice - Former Minnesota Police Officer Derek Chauvin Charged With Tax Evasion

He never tried to be a public figure, and tax crimes of police or fire or teachers is not reported, or is it?

I hold NPR to a very high standard, but I don’t agree with them on this. His taxes have nothing to do with his killing of Floyd.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He should have been bounced from the force a while ago. Does MPD even have an Internal Affairs division? And besides, how many times do you see news orgs do legal docs deep dives of VICTIMS of crimes and report on divorces, liens, lawsuits etc. Way too often.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    tapintoamerica and Kato like this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's newsworthy.

Being defined as a public figure is only really operative if you are talking about libel or defamation FWIW, and being a public figure has nothing to do with whether you chose to acquire your notoriety.

Like it or not, he is famous and embroiled in a controvery. That makes things like this that are related to him newsworthy. They are not gratuitously reporting an indictment of an anonymous cop. They are reporting another indictment of someone who has been in the news because of a controversy.

BWoronoff likes this.
  5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Because police don't cover up for their own all the time? Of course they do.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I see where you are coming from. I just see it more along the lines of reporting that Floyd has money issues as well, no idea if he did, but the interaction between had nothing to do with money problems.

I guess it does paint a picture of working beyond the law and rules of society.

BWoronoff likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It’s news.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Unquestionably news, just as his fraudulently cast Florida ballots are news.

9. ringer

ringer Active Member

One interesting thing... if he was investigated in June 2020 re: his 2019 tax returns, than Chauvin at least filed them before the (revised) July 15, 2020 deadline.

Headline might have been clearer if it had said he was charged with under-reporting taxes.

10. ringer

ringer Active Member

p.s. Too bad we can't get Trump's returns. Maybe they could be cellmates.

11. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

This is absolutely news.

Then he should've thought quadruple before putting his knee on a Black man's neck while people filmed him.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Making the hypothetical leap that this other thing didn't happen - Yes, absolutely, tax fraud by a police officer is probably A1 in every city's local paper, except maybe New York or L.A. People get pissed when public officials waste taxpayer dollars. Hell, one of the most commented stories at my old paper was about public works employees helping themselves to free gasoline at the pumps. The total "damage" was about $350 before they were caught. This wouldn't be a *national* story if he hadn't done that other thing, but hey, he did.

Dog8Cats likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted