1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this letter out of line?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Dec 27, 2010.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Sounds like a poor photog, if he doesn't see the developing story ... or you have a ridiculouosly early art deadline. I guess what I meant, though, is that I like the option of picking the best photo (and on Friday nights, I have to choose before the reporter gets back from the game many a time) vs. some "rule" that says we must have star player in paper.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

My rule is to pick the photo that best tells the story of the game. If there isn't good art that tells the story, then I go with the best art available. Every part of the package, from the headline to the photo to cutlines and breakouts, should enhance the story for the reader. I try to keep track games online on the radio or Twitter, which has been awesome for following high school games in Oklahoma this year, so I have a clue what's going on. Or I shoot a text to the reporter at the game and see what the story is. If there's an amazing shot that doesn't tell the story, I always try to get it in with the jump and play it big there. But I won't put a great photo out front if it doesn't tell the story in some way (drives our photogs nuts at times, I think, but my editor agrees with me on this).

Of course, I'm fortunate now in that I tend to only have to work Friday nights during the playoffs.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There is a difference between news and commentary.

Most journalists would prefer to present the facts as accurately as they can even if it makes someone look bad.

However, when writing a column, most journalists aren't likely to rip the on-court play of a high school kid because they cut them some slack. They aren't pros. They aren't getting a free college ride.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think if someone is the star of the game, you probably do want his/her photo in the paper unless the better photo is of a key play or is just exceptional.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Commentary is a part of journalism. Once you are willing to compromise some part of journalism because they aren't pros, it seems a little silly to act shocked when people expect you to compromise other parts. There's nothing wrong with drawing arbitrary lines, but don't be shocked when other people draw the line in a different spot.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Please. Go pick a different nit.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Sorry to be shining a light on the internalized hypocrisies of the industry. I'll go back to my hole now.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It seems as it we're trying to paint a true picture, there would be a lot more shots of dejection rather than random action shots in newspapers around the country.

But I guess we're not all pros who treat high school freshman like Michael Vick.

9. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I'd be more comfortable with criticizing a HS coach for bad play calling than a kid for bad plays. We don't know and sometimes should not know what gets in a kid's head to make him play poorly. Could be a fight with a girlfriend/boyfriend, bad grade on a test, car ran out of gas on the way to school. Or a kid could just be having one of those days that we all had as teenagers. In a lot of way, kids in high school are just that -- kids. Most are playing sports because they are fun. Adults, from parents and coaches to journalists, sometimes lose sight of that.

10. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

They sent TWO shooters to a high school game. Championship or not, that's something the losing team should appreciate. And they didn't send two rookies, either, both those guys have been shooting sports for years and obviously got some great art in poor conditions. Maybe someday the kids will appreciate having such an important day captured so well on film. Not today, not tomorrow, but someday.

And THAT is a successful, confident kid and parents who at least in this one isolated instance appear to know how to raise a successful, confident kid. To deny your failure, to shuttle blame, to bitch about unfair coverage -- these are all hallmarks of a would-be winner who loses on a given day and just quits, quits in a broad-based sense. A real winner knows he failed and lost on a given day, owns it and accepts it. I can only imagine that psychologically, this kid is a lot more content nowadays because he owned up to his mistake and moved on, than if he had deflected this error and made it a chip on his shoulder.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Here's a letter in today's P-E defending the photos.

I wish all readers/parents were this understanding.

Loss betters team

I must defend your coverage of Centennial High School's state championship loss. While I appreciate Steve Mitchell's concern that the losing team's final moments were negatively immortalized in print, I saw the photos as a beautiful life lesson ("Photos shame losing team," Your Views, Dec. 26).

Losing is hard. When you have been told you are the best, when you beat most opponents who come before you by wide margins, the game loses its impact.

It is fun to win, but winning isn't everything.

Did they prepare as well as they could? Do they understand teamwork? It seems to me that coach Matt Logan has instilled these virtues in the boys.

The journey for these boys has just begun. This loss does not define this team; the loss will help its members be better players and better men. This team is not diminished by the powerful, emotional photos you published. Those photos allow the community to commiserate with their anguish and marvel at their journey.

The Centennial High football team of 2010 is still an amazing team.

Erin Jaffarian

Norco

Draft saved Draft deleted