1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this letter out of line?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Dec 27, 2010.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

These stories and pictures have been running since time immemorial, and people have been complaining about them since time immemorial, and there's no way around it. Turn it around: Centennial loses and you run happy pictures from a great play in the first quarter. What the hell sense would that have made? Everybody would have been saying, "What the hell?" Letter was whiny, but I don't know if you tell him to STFU ... it's understandable. But so were the pictures. Just part of this deal, every day.

2. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

Mistakes were THE story of that game (I was bored so I looked it up). Centennial outgained Palo Alto 480-291. They just had turnovers, gave up a safety, lost a TD on a penalty and missed a 42-yard field goal in the final seconds. Yes, I know that's a long shot at that level, but in a two-point game it is important.

Then we move on to this gem: "They are merely teenagers who must live with this public humiliation for the rest of their lives." No, they don't have to live out anything. It's only publicly humiliating if the public sees something wrong with going 14-1 and winning a tough section, or if the public defines people by what they did in high school. Mr. Mitchell may see it that way, I don't think most others do. (I wonder if he felt bad when Centennial threw up 82 on another team this season)

Lastly, over half of these kids will get another chance. The seniors, they will have to be content with their undefeated 2008 season and 52-6 four-year record. Such humiliation to live through!

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

but I was appalled at your choice of photos
    following Centennial's upset by Palo Alto in the state championship game

I love how this jackass calls it an "upset".

Palo Alto ended the season undefeated. The two teams played no common opponents. Stating that it was an upset is nothing more than fairy tale dreaming.

And it wasn't a State Championship game. It was a stupid bowl game.

4. poindexter

Here are the photos in question.

http://hsgametime.pe.com/multimedia/slideshow/hsgametime/2010/20101218_centennial/

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I notice a lack of people in the stands in those photos. Maybe no one really cares.

6. poindexter

Pouring rain, the game played 70 miles from one team and 500 miles from the other. Like I said, its a bowl game, not a true state championship game.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Everyone loves the winning .... if you can't deal with the losing, don't play. I thought the photos were great, and you're damn right I'd be using those on the front of my section. That's quality stuff.

8. To answer the question, no, the letter is not out of line. As far as complaint letters go, that's about as timid and respectful as they come.
    He's not right. Not at all. But it's a letter to the editor. It's his opinion. He doesn't have to be right.

9. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

The state bowl games in California are state championship games. There are five of them because the state is so big and the school sizes vary so much.
    Essentially the five best teams from Northern California play the five best teams from Southern California for separate state championships. There is an open division for what many believe are the two best teams, but it's a very subjective process.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The letter is not out of line.

The coach is completely wrong, but not out of line.

Hey, when you lose, you pay the price -- including photos of your guys fumbling.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I didn't cover this game, but we had a situation once in our paper where one of our postseason girls soccer teams had a keeper inadvertently put the ball in her net (the dreaded "own goal"). You guessed it... I believe this was an overtime sudden-death game and the opponents won 1-0.

There would be people saying "don't write about the mistake". I'd be sitting there saying "IT'S THE WHOLE FRICKING STORY!!! IT'S WHY THEY LOST!!"

Some parents want only positive stuff written about their kids. Others, one negative thing and they're threatening to take you to court or make your life a living hell. Guess what. Buck up and support your kids. What's the phrase, anyway... what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger?

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Publish the most relevant, informative, interesting and compelling information and photos about the event you're covering.

Whiners will be whiners. Fuck 'em. You're not, or should not be, their PR department or cheer squad. Those who are, are not journalists.

Draft saved Draft deleted