1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this lead misleading?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Oct 3, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Right, but all we had was the first two sentences. Slappy's bringing in shit from the rest of the story, without a link, so there's no way for me to know where the school was or who was interviewed or wasn't. He asked if the lede was misleading without telling us the rest of the story.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

True. Slappy's being stingy with the links.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I mean, I get it. You don't want to out the writer, assuming it's a no-name guy. We kind of have that rule. But some more details as to the content of the story would have helped make the call easier.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

We can agree that Slappy spelled "lead" wrong though.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Rest of the story mentions nothing about the coach. Nada. The reference in the first two paragraphs is never heard from again, then continues to cumguzzle the Big College defense for the next 600 words

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't like that. Don't tease me with a damn home-cooked meal. Bring the mashed potatoes.

7. noahl

noahl New Member

it sucks. it's badly worded and leaves it unclear whether the coach actually did anything attributed to him, or whether we should understand that this is a theoretical situation, which the writer could have remedied with a "probably" and "would." but the lede still would have stunk because it's so slow in developing. And did it really stretch over two short grafs, or is that your rendering of it? no matter, the concept was cool -- placing us in the family room of a coach who'd earned a quiet reward -- but the execution was horrible.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And then have a snack!

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Coach James probably was hoping for a nice easy weekend of rest while Pegleg State enjoyed the bye week before their matchup with State U.

That weekend of rest could have been cut short if they watched the impressive State U win over State Tech on Saturday.

State U looked so good, Pegleg might have start preparing early Sunday morning.

yada yada yada yada yada

Is this what they were trying to say?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

probably.

Draft saved Draft deleted