1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This In Poor Taste?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Well, a week before Christmas and I have a friggin' wedding to attend.

My friend says "it's in poor taste" to have the wedding six days before Christmas.

A while back, I didn't think anything of it. Now, two days away from the thing and I'm cursing the bride and groom left, right and center. And I totally agree with my friend.

Who the hell gets married — in traditional fashion (i.e. not in Florida, Cuba or Mexico) — a week before Christmas?

Don't these two realize all the other shit people have going on in their lives at this time of year?

I mean, first, there's money. It's another gift, another night's stay at a hotel (it's out of town from us), another travel day, etc. etc. all before "the big holiday."

And then there's juggling family dinners and get-togethers. The wife and I both have a set of parents who want to see their granddaughter as much as possible this time of year.

This wedding is just one more thing we have to juggle. It's become an inconvenience.

And I know, I know, there will be people who say "shut up and don't go then."

Thing is, the bride stood in our wedding. My wife feels we're obligated to attend.

Rant over.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Maybe that was the best time for their core of family and friends? Maybe there's some sort of obligation that keeps them from a more traditional time?

They should have had it on Christmas Eve, so parents could combine Santa Claus's arrival with the wedding night in educational fashion for the kiddies.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

MMII

The only obligations I'm aware of is the fact she wanted to "go somewhere warm in the winter for [her] honeymoon."

And, get this, she's a teacher. So she had every weekend from like June to Labor Day open for a wedding.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I attended a wedding the week before Christmas a few years back. It was 3,000 miles away from where I was. And to top it off it was take 2, because they originally had it scheduled for August, and then two weeks before it was a go (and one week after saying they were going through with it) they postponed it. Of course by then the flights were booked, so everyone was doubly screwed, and super pissed.

Eventually the wedding happened and it was easily the most boring wedding I've ever been to. No alcohol, no toasts, and no food beyond a deli platter.

Ok, well I sort of lied about the alcohol part. I had a flask that I shared with a couple people. And the groom's mom and sister chugged a bottle of wine together before walking into the church. But otherwise, no alcohol!

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

It adds a level of inconvenience, but I think it sucks that we just declare that nothing else can occur for this 1/12th of the year. I feel bad for people who have December birthdays, and it's like a business vortex -- nobody can seem to accomplish anything in December.

Your friends should get married when they want to. Inconvenient for some of the guests, maybe, but no way it's in poor taste.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My sister's birthday is coming up -- Dec. 21. She came home on Christmas Eve 1992, and my mom told me that's all I was getting for Christmas since I asked her and my step-dad for a baby brother or sister the year before.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The cost of the wedding is also significantly higher from June-Labor Day.
    Your friend is an idiot. Not everyone celebrates Christmas.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Perhaps a ton of family comes to town for Christmas anyway, and they were trying to save them from making two trips.
    Still, that's not considerate of other guests who weren't planning to visit in December.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

What is this "business vortex," you speak of in which no one can accomplish anything in December? Hell, between region play starting in basketball and soccer, state championships in football and putting out my paper's All-Area high school football team, December is my busiest month of the year. August is the only month that comes close. And that doesn't even account for all the Christmas-related stuff. I always take my last week of vacation during the last week of the year just to recover.

To answer Pete's original question, yeah it's a major inconvenience, but some people like a Christmas wedding and they're entitled to set their date any time they choose.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I meant a business vortex for regular people. Not we special, blessed folks.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Boo-fucking-hoo. Sorry you're so inconvenienced Pete.

I'm flying cross-country Friday for my nephew's wedding Saturday.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

The wedding is about them. Not you or any of the other guests.

There are inconveniences every day of the year. This is a general comment, not directed at Pete: People need to get over themselves and realize it's not always about them. The couple wants to get married near Christmas - or heck, even ON Christmas, that's their business.

Rant over, getting more coffee now.

Draft saved Draft deleted