1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this high school blog post appropriate?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NorthTX76, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

One thing that needs to be noted is that the DRC does not cover The Colony. The point being it's obviously easier to criticize an out-of-town player. You don't expect to get as much blowback as ripping a hometown kid.

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

If the kid was crowding the plate and kept ignoring the umpire's orders, that is something I don't have an issue naming the player over. But that blogger also said the player was the first No. 3 hitter he's seen that couldn't swing the bat. That comment along with the throwing at the head statement and the dumb reference to his stellar Little League career put this whole blog over the top.

This brings up a question, how many blogs are actually edited? Because you'd think this would be canned or forced to be rewritten pretty quick if it was. I have a feeling many blogs aren't edited, which is not a good thing with the immediacy and longevity of the Web.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Great points. I agree 100 percent.

4. Good point, Bat. I didn't even consider the homerism involved. Could be a big reason he wrote the blog in the first place.

5. RTJ

RTJ Member

Why is it considered 'Bush League' to crowd the plate, anyway? Throw the ball in the strike zone. If it hits the batter over the plate, it's still a strike.

6. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Yep. I work with one of these guys. It's an embarrassment to be associated with him.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the blog - if a coach and a kid are trying to get hit they deserved to be called out for it, particularly if they are in an area where prep sports are covered as much as it would seem in this small-town paper.

There are clearly boundaries you don't cross in covering high school kids and you certainly don't take cheap shots and pot shots at them or rip them for making errors, dropping passes even making a boneheaded play......

But he does none of that here -- he basically just points out that it was pretty chickenshit for this kid to step up to the plate and try to get hit instead of swing the bat.

8. jps

jps Active Member

zag, he did take a shot at the kid, and said the guy can't hit. uncalled for.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Would it have been better if he had said the kid's a No. 3 hitter and has a .189 average instead of "he can't hit?"

10. Petrie

Petrie Guest

I think so. Let the numbers do the talking.

11. jps

jps Active Member

yes, it would have. he straight out said the kid sucks and can't play, then he later says he'd have plunked ol no. 3 in the ear hole.

look, if he's a college kid or of course a pro, sure, call him out. but not a high school kid - no reason and no point.

12. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Let's remember this writer batted third or fifth in Little League baseball and was pretty good, so he knows what he's talking about.

Draft saved Draft deleted