1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this high school blog post appropriate?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NorthTX76, Apr 9, 2009.

1. NorthTX76

NorthTX76 New Member

I am a former news/sports journalist from back in the day. Now I teach high school academics.
    Just curious to see if you think this blog post is appropriate. I have mixed reactions.
    I heard about this site. Now I am curious.

http://drchighschoolblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2009/04/can-we-say-busch-league.html#comments

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Ooh boy, that was pretty brutal.

I like how he comes back 36 hours after posting the blog to "clarify" it.

Oh, and is there some joke I am missing? Why does he keep calling it "Busch League"? Do they drink shitty beer in Denton?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's a blog post. I've seen worse from mainstream media types. At least this kid saw the game in question instead of commenting on what someone else wrote.

"Busch" League is in the urban dictionary and means the same thing as bush league.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It's still shredding a high school kid.

Talk about bush league.

5. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Fixed to reflect Gola's Wazzu roots.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Not a kid. A staff writer for the Denton Record-Chronicle who's been in the business for five years, according to a quick Google search. And the next post on that blog, by a colleague, suggests officiating was to blame for the outcome of a soccer game.

Weak.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

No reason to ever call out a high school athlete.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Hey, the umpire doesn't have to let someone go to first just because they were hit by a pitch. If they make no effort to get out of the way, he can tell them to get back in the box.

That said, it's masochistic to pull that kind of lightning down on yourself over such a silly thing.

9. jps

jps Active Member

pretty damn weak.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Yes there are.
    But definitely not for this.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Nice of him to get the perspective of the people he's ripping ...

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think you've got to understand when you are ripping somebody before you can stop writing questionable blog items.

I could be wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted