1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this guy trying to scam me?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SnoopyBoy, Jan 24, 2008.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The scam is the cashier's check is no good. It won't clear the bank, but that process will take a few days, and by that time you'll already be out a truck.. and you won't even know what the mysterious deaf buyer looks like.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Craigslist is rife with scams, as is kijiji.

When I was searching for an apartment, at least three-quarters of the ads turned into scams. This is the type of email I would get back:

Thanks for the email. I Prof. Moses Morgan and my wife Dr. Debbie Morgan own the 3 bedroom Condo/Apartment and also want you to know that it was due to my transfer that makes me and my wife to leave the house and also want to give it out for rent and looking for a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean at the time and the person that will rent it to take it as if it were its own. So for now, We are here in west Africa, our new house and also with the keys of the house, we try to look for an agent that we can give this documents before we left but could not see and we are as well as don't want our house to be used any how in our present that is why we took it along with us. I and my wife came over to West Africa for a missionary work, so i hope you will promise us to take very good care of the house. So get back to me on how you could take care of our house or perhaps experience you have in renting home. Hope you are okay with the price of US$700 with hydro,heat laundry facilities, air condition and so on. I am looking forward to hear from you soon, please call us on how to get the house for rent, 7015 - 32nd Ave NE Calgary, AB. T1Y 6T9

RENT APPLICATION FORM
    1)Your Full Name :
    2)Your Full Address & Phone Number :
    3)How old are you?
    4)Are you married?
    5)How many people will be living in the house?
    6)Do you have a pet?
    7)Do you have a car?
    8)Occupation?
    9)What is your religion?

Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so that i can have it in my file incase of issuing the receipt for you and contacting you.Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the document and the key to you, we do not see yet and only putting everything into Gods hand,so please do not let us down in this our property and God bless you more as you do this.Please i want you to check the apartment at the address and let me know if you would like it, the apartment is locked and i have the keys.

Thanks and you are welcome
    Moses C. Morgan & Dr. Debbie Morgan
    our cell phone #: 0112347031523342

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When they call it "2005 Chevy truck" twice, bingo. That's the part of the form letter that gets switched out to others.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

SportsJournalists.com: Protecting America From Con Artists since 2002.

And as a special to SportsJournalists.com members, we're offering Grifter Plus Membership, protecting you and your loved ones from scams around the world for an annual fee of only $25.00

Just PM me your credit card information to take advantage of this exclusive offer

Note: Not valid in Canada, Puerto Rico or Alaska.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

What. No scamming protecting your fellow Canuckistanians? ;)

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Well done. 8)

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Usually the story ends up with the scam buyer having to send a cashier's check for far more than the price of the truck with the agreement that the seller will send a refund of the difference. The cashier's check is bogus and the seller gets a reminder of what a fool he was every time he looks at his truck.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

See, that sounds more like it. Stealing a truck is too easy.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That and there are still relay services he could call. I've dealt with plenty of those at a previous non-journalism job so I know what that's like.

It reeked of bullshit from the first sentence.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Dammit, JR! My money is worth it, too!

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Actually, Canadian money is worth more than the greenback nowadays.

Before long, ol' George won't be worth a Continental.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Don't give out your actual mailing addres. Have the chasier's check sent to a PMB.
    Cash the cashier's check. Once you have the money, you can make give hime the truck.
    I don't think I would give him my phone number.
    The thing that would make me suspiscious is that he is willing to pay for a truck he has not seen in person.

Draft saved Draft deleted