1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this ever OK?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by starrman, Feb 9, 2009.

1. starrman

starrman New Member

This letter was forwarded to me -- I'm told it was sent out by a beat writer in our local league to all of the coaches in the league (names changed to protect the innocent and clueless).

I'm posting primarily for amusement value, but also to ask -- are there any circumstances under which this would be OK? The only one I can think of is if you were in such a small market that the local beat writer actually works as the official scorer or the PA guy or something, but even in that situation I would think you'd have to write it as a representative of the school rather than a representative of the media.

= = =

League coaches,

As you are aware we are very fortunate to get the chance to witness history in the making this basketball season. Legendary coach, Bubba Jones has done something in a very successful way that very few other coaches nationally could accomplish. He has won 20+ games for the men's and women's teams at Dumptruck Institute and is on his way to dual conference championships.

This has obviously been accomplished through his extensive knowledge of the sport but more so in his unparalleled work ethic. I am very proud of the fact that I get to cover this piece of American college basketball history. This would be an honor for any journalist. I have developed a friendship with Coach that transcends the confines of his gymnasium. He has given me insight into his program and to my benefit his great basketball mind.

I am writing you to join me in a tribute to Coach. The way that you can help to make sure that generations to come are aware of what this man has done for basketball is to unanimously vote him Coach of the Year for both the Men's and Women's seasons. I think you would agree that being a coach during the Jones era has given us a rare treat that many people associated with sports do not get to experience. Please make the dream a reality. Let's create history and vote for Coach for for both Coach of the Year awards. With your vote and my pen, we can let the nation know how special of a year we were a part of. You can bet on it that I will do my part to put a smile on Coach's well-deserved face. I am counting on you to do the same. It will be a glorious day that we will all cherish for years to come.

Thanks for your support,

Homer Brownnose
    Staff Writer
    Local Paper

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Um. No. Never.

This letter writer is supposed to be a reporter not a cheerleader. He supposed to report the news not make the news.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Barf.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Dickie Dunn wrote it, it must be true!

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That's unbelievable.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Of course coach allowed him access. Who doesn't live a 24-7-365 dickrider?

7. Notepad

Notepad Member

Another example of how I fucking cringe more and more everyday about the future of our business.

My vote is to stick the guy's pen in his ass.

8. Forget the rest of it: even calling the guy Coach is not allowed.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree it's too much. But not too much different from media types being tasked to make the case for a player they covered to make it into the Football Hall of Fame.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I can see how this is all right. But do it sparingly. Maybe once a season; twice tops. As long as you spread the love, I think you're in the clear.

11. that can't be real

Draft saved Draft deleted