1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this ethical ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I'm doing some feature stuff from the NCAAs in Providence, but I also have to cover an NIT game this evening.
    I can use quotes from the evening presser, right? I only ask because there were a slew of big-namers who didn't come to the press conference, but were filing through the transcribed notes that were handed out.
    Also, is it kosher to use quotes from other pressers throughout the country?

2. Yes, it's ethical. Even if you were on the scene at Providence, you might need to refer to the transcripts. That's what they are there for. There's nothing exclusive about their nature. Only caveat, they can be incomplete. Might night reflect the entire presser, just the opening highlights.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Are you asking if it's ethical to use quotes from a press conference you didn't attend?

Sure. Absolutely.

Now if your boss assumes that your doing your feature interviews live and doesn't know you are sidetripping on the NIT, I would say that is not ethical.

As far as the use of press conference quotes in general, they are fair game, though it's a bit of a gray area on if you indicate that they were said in a news conference or not.

4. Rhody31

Ace, I'm doing both stories for my papers. If the evening pressers ran on time, I might have gotten lucky and made the tip. Didn't want to chance it.
    I'm only asking this because I've never dealt with a big event like this. When they brought the transcribed notes out my head almost exploded. Never seen anything like it. I don't know the ground rules as far as taking stuff from press conferences you're not at and, to be honest, there's a pretty good chance I'm not going to even bother with the stuff I didn't go to.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't sweat it then. Does your boss think they schedule NCAA pressers around NIT games?

6. Rhody31

I don't have a boss who assigns stuff. We've been w/o an SE for three years. I secured the tourney credentials, figuring we could get some filler before spring season hits. Then URI crapped the bed and it's hosting a NIT game tonight. Since I'm the team's beat writer, I get to do both.
    Normally I'd complain, but it means schieza is laying out our two sections.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You still need to complain to fulfill your responsibilities as a sports writer.

8. Rhody31

Dammit. I forgot. Gimme a sec ....

This more for less stuff sucks. There is no goddamn reason why I should have to handle a feature in the morning after working til 3:30 a.m. then be expected to write a functional gamer, notebook and potential preview at night, so fuck yeah I'm gonna take every quote from whatever presser I goddamn want.

Better?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not bad. Work food in there next time.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, Rhody, I do not detect real sincerity in that whining. If you can't whine and mean it, you might not qualifiy as a young (under 40 is young to me) sports writer.

11. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

For those doing the NCAA men's tourney:

http://www.asapsports.com/

Why retype quotes when you can copy-and-paste?

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Wow. Where did that site come from and how long has it been around?

Draft saved Draft deleted