1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This Classic Rock?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't think there's any question PJ actively sought to whittle down its audience. I think a lot of it had to do with paring away the frat-boy types who kept requesting "Better Man" at weddings. I seem to recall Ed, around this time, talking about looking out on the audience and (figuratively) seeing all the people who used to beat him up in high school.

I'd argue that the process began with Vitalogy, which did feature some radio-friendly stuff, but also employed a bunch of weird, atmospheric filler. The lead single off that album was STBC, with Tremor Christ as the B-side. Not exactly Corduroy-Better Man.

No Code, meanwhile, kicked off with the single "Who You Are" -- which is probably the least rock-radio friendly song they've ever made.

Between that and the touring and video boycott, you really can't argue that Pearl Jam took great pains to downsize its audience. In the mid-part of the 90s. I think that's part of the reason they are the only major band to really survive that era.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I do want to say that I recently called my local classic rock station to request "Uneasy Rider" by the CDB, and they told me they did not have it.

It was not in their database of songs.

[​IMG]

3. Damn, that was a big-ass hit, too.
    Always wanted to go to the Antioch Baptist Church after that.

4. only three records

Major Lodge Victory - the last one, released maybe two years ago - is damn close to New Miserable Experience

check it out

Hopkins was a great songwriter, but Jesse Valenzuela is close

and Robin Wilson nailed a few too

5. 93Devil

Is it the Do Drop Inn or the Dew Drop Inn?

I'm usually too busy tearing Wallace stickers off the bumpers of cars to notice.

6. Our youths were similarly misspent, I think.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Absolutely correct, F.B. The Who Sell Out IS their best album. It also has their all-time best song, "I Can See For Miles." But there's plenty of other great stuff on there, too. And unlike future Who concept albums, the lads' sense of humor shines through on Sell Out.

Doesn't everybody? :)

Seriously, when I think of the 10 best concerts I've ever attended, the three PJ shows I've seen are among the list. To this day, they kick ass live.

8. Fixed.

9. 93Devil

Nah, WDVE in Pittsburgh keeps classic rock alive for the generations of Spniteds, myselfs and DreUNCs of the world to enjoy.

I'm unsure where you fit, but I think you were alive for more than 70 or so days in 1960s.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I like some of REM's singles, but I didn't get into their early stuff and I hated everything on Monster and after, but AFTP is one of my five favorite albums of all time, any genre.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Just so, SG.

Gotta get out and see them again, soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted