1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this beat writer trying too hard?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sea Bass, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

I don't even like to hear "in goal" ... it's jargon and incorrect grammar. A grating ESPNism is to put "would" in every other sentence, as in "Pence homered but the Giants would lose 3-2." It already happened so it's past tense -- you're not doing highlights. And one that is not jargon but just bad grammar is saying "you've got" or "I've got" instead of you have or I have ...not wild about seeing "dimes" instead of assists either.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm all for quality control in game stories, but if an occasional "went deep" as a substitute for homered gives you the vapors, maybe it is time to undo the top button on your polo shirt and live a little.

HanSenSE and Batman like this.
  3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Don't get me started on the "would" thing.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That seems a bit ... harsh.

5. swingline

In the same vein, when TV people say "he's out with a hamstring." The extra word you're looking for there, champ, is "injury."

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. swingline

I'm pretty sure I railed against "would" on another thread in here. Fucking hate it, whether spoken or written.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll grin-and-bear "going yard" but this has gotta stop. Maybe it was shorthand born of not knowing exactly what the injury was, but it's still horrible.

8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

It's among baseball expressions on the "banned" list in our stylebook, so we're expected to change it whether it gives us "the vapors" or not. But yeah, if it's a few minutes until deadline and the priorities are accurate display type and getting the story out on time, it's no big deal.

On the other hand, no way in Hades am I letting "bomb" get in as a home run substitute, even if it means going in late. And I'll tell you from experience that our boss agrees.

9. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Barnesy! The groans from the regular FSU beat writers of the early 2000s were audible when he'd make his weekly appearance in Tallahassee: at the post-game presser.

10. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I nodded knowingly on every one, but donkeys. Is the context as one would expect?

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

where do you stand on tater and big fly?

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A donkey, in hockey terms, is a guy who might not be the brightest bulb in the room

Draft saved Draft deleted