1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this asking too much of Michael Vick?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, May 20, 2009.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The Humane Society has got it right--looking to partner with Vick and have him be a spokesman against dog fighting or animal cruelty.

For PETA, this could end up backfiring on them big time. I think the majority of people will feel he's done his time, and that PETA is doing nothing but piling on and grandstanding. Will end up hurting their case in the long run as opposed to helping it.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Relax Zag.

It's not about a higher standard. It is about a different policy being in place. The new policy has been a lot of talk and relatively limited action so far, but at least the NFL office is taking a stance on these things even though it hasn't been a strong enough one to this point.

And I'm not arguing that Vick shouldn't be reinstated. I am saying that I don't agree with using "well, he isn't as bad as Leonard Little" as the standard when deciding if a player should be banned or not. When the legal system got it wrong, the NFL still had the opportunity to get it right and ban Leonard. If not when he killed that woman, then at the very least it should have been done when he got arrested again for a DUI. But the policy in place now is different than what was in place then.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Captain is right. This is one time PETA should STFU big time. Nothing is going to bring the dogs back to life. Vick has served his sentence. Let him get on with his life and judge him from what he does from here on out, not what he did.

Draft saved Draft deleted