1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this asking too much of Michael Vick?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, May 20, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You beat me to it. :)

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It isn't that simple. People who have made criminal mistakes still have a right to pursue employment in whatever field they choose based on their ability and qualifications to do that job. You can't make up rules retroactively to force people out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, they are going to apply a policy that didn't exist at the time?

To be clear, i'm not arguing for the NFL to ban Vick. Just saying I can understand why there might be more harsh punishments coming out of the league office now than there were in the past.

That said, I'm all for any decision that includes punishing Little for what he has done. The price he paid for the crime he committed was not nearly high enough.

Edit: Man, I even have to agree with cranberry on this one.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

The real probllem with the Leonard Little situation is a feeble system in Missouri in which he served a whole entire 60 days in jail and 1000 hours of community sevice for killing someone while driving with a BAC of .19 and had the involuntary manslaughter conviction wiped from his record when he stayed clean for a few years ... before getting another DUI.

He should have gotten at least 10 years in prison but in some states it's apparently OK to murder people with your car.

5. JackReacher

Of course you can't, which is why I wrote "That ain't gonna happen either" after that little phrase you quoted from my post.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Remind me again which commissioner it was that reinstated PacMan Jones, Tank Johnson and Chris Henry?

Don't give me this shit about how there is a higher standard now just because the Goodell tried his best to appease rich white sponsors by creating an example of a few of the worst offenders.

There is no reason Vick shouldn't be reinstated given the rules as they are.

7. Actually, it makes him less of a scumbag than Leonard Little is.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

True, Fen.
    But again, it is the pathetic laws in Missouri that allowed Leonard Little to be a free man in 60 days after killing someone.

9. JackReacher

60 days? That's it? I didn't even realize that.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I looked it up, Ryan. 60 days, 1,000 hours community service and the conviction was wiped off his record after he stayed clean for 5 years.
    Six years after he killed someone, he got nailed for DUI again and got another slap on the wrist.

EDIT: I see two other reports that say 90 days, 1000 hours, 4 years probation.. and then the record was wiped ouot.

He beat the second DUI on some bullshit technicality despite failing three sobriety tests.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

First-degree involuntary manslaughter is a Class C felony punishable by up to 7 years in prison under Missouri law, but the court has the discretion to suspend the sentence if the offender doesn't have priors.

http://www.lawyers.ca/international/sectiondetail.asp?ID=139&state=Missouri

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Really, PETA? This is just absurd. This is PETA trying to insert themselves where they don't belong once again. Sure, Vick orchestrated a dogfighting ring, but he has paid his dues to society and has even been cooperative about participating in a program to help children learn about the dangers of dogfighting. Vick's contributions to the Humane Society and his 23-month jail sentence should be enough. Drop it.

There's no excuse for what Vick did. It's disgusting. But, please, let it go.

Draft saved Draft deleted