1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this asking too much of Michael Vick?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, May 20, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

PETA seems to have the NFL by the balls when it comes to reinstating Michael Vick.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/hofmann/PETA_to_Vick_Show_us_your_brain.html

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Re: Is this asking too much of Michael Vick

Teams are that scared of PETA? Seriously?

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

In January, PETA said that it could not support Vick's return unless he underwent psychiatric testing, including a brain scan, to determine if he is likely to get involved in animal cruelty again.

Really? As disgusting as Michael Vick's behavior was, PETA leaders can eat vats of pig dong as far as I'm concerned.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

In terms of who is more criminally insane -- the hardcore members and leaders of PETA or Michael Vick it is not even close -- PETA people are way more looney and scare the hell out of me way more than Vick does.

And that is the point about him being reinstated - compared to the PacMan Jones of this world, I'd say that Vick is not at all likely to be a repeat offender.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I love PETA and what they do. But people overstate the organization's impact because of how over-the-top it goes for publicity. The typical NFL team fan could give two hoots about PETA. PETA picketing outside of an NFL stadium or a practice facility will have zero impact on the team's bottom line. It will get a lot of media attention, but is going to have virtually no impact any team's fan base, which will still continue to root and pile into stadiums.

I think the biggest problem Michael Vick is facing is that he is not Peyton Manning. Someone will sign him--because he is better than a lot of NFL quarterbacks--but if a lot of teams aren't tripping all over themselves to grab him, it will be because they don't think he is good enough to merit the baggage he now carries into the locker room.

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

If I were in Vick's shoes, I'd cheer on the publicity surrounding PETA's antics.

Only PETA could turn him into a martyr, much like Selena Roberts did for A-Rod.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Again, why does Ron Mexico get all the hate and people like say Leonard Little continue to play nary a word? F****r killed a WOMAN.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Leonard Little belongs in jail, not the NFL.

That doesn't make Michael Vick any less of a scumbag.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't. But if you let Little play, you gotta let Vick play.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Why? Can't the NFL learn from past mistakes?

spnited is right. Little should be in jail, not playing in the NFL. I and others here have posted as much many times before. That dirtbag took a human life while driving drunk, then had his agent telling stories about how sorry he was and how often he cries about it. Then the fucker got arrested for DUI again.

That said, the NFL has a more proactive stance regarding the off-field behavior of its athletes now than it did at the time of Little's crimes. Just because they got it wrong then doesn't mean they can't ban anybody now if they feel it is appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. spnited

spnited Active Member

They could really show some balls and retroactively ban Little on the basic premise that murderers have no place in the NFL.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It's a nice thought in theory, but can you imagine the shitstorm if Goodell banned Vick for life while Little was still in the league making his millions?

Just ain't gonna happen.

If the NFL has really learned from its mistakes, it would go ahead and ban Little the instant it bans Vick.

That ain't gonna happen either.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted