1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Is this an entry level position?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Apr 7, 2012.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sorry, Moddy, couldn't resist.

But some talk on the jobs board brings to mind a recent opening I'm familiar with in which the salary point they're trying to hit doesn't begin to suggest the proposed responsibilities of the job title. Let's say you hear Sports Editor in that setting and you're thinking to yourself it should be at least $50K job based on the newspaper size and mission and instead the talk is they're looking to fill it for $35K.

I am wondering if this is a trend I've missed to this point, where (some) papers are lowballing SE jobs because there's such a glut of qualified people out there they don't have to pay a premium.

And wouldn't this tend to skew the candidate pool a little bit (or a lot) younger?

I haven't applied for an SE job in the last five years, so I hadn't really been paying attention.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

People are low-balling a lot of jobs these days, unfortunately. We hired a guy and they were looking to get his replacement for about 25 grand less. And he wasn't making a ton.

I know of one decent paper midway across the country that was going so low it took it about a year longer than it should have to find an SE.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't know if it is a trend or not but I will say this, if they can get you in the door cheaply, they will.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

And this is hardly the only industry that does so.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

No it's not but what is being offered out there for salaries just isn't right.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe.

But it's only natural to want to pay as little as possible for something, whether it's an item at a garage sale, your iPhone data plan or a reporter you may be hiring.

Is someone being a monster if he cancels his $45 lawn service and hires someone else who will do it for $30?

7. HejiraHenry

Well, then we get into the quality issue, I think. And that's always been an elusive concept for a lot of newspaper managers.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Only if you believe higher cost always means better quality 100 percent of the time.

Higher cost could mean very talented. Or it could mean nothing more than 30 years of merit raises. And if someone with 30 years of merit raises sees his job being eliminated or outsourced, chances are he'll be going somewhere else for less money. But he won't be less talented just because he's getting less money.

9. HejiraHenry

As a boss of mine said in the PR world: "Good, fast and cheap - choose two."

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Journalism is still seen as a desirable, even glamorous, field -- especially for young, idealistic people. And, there are still schools pumping out journalism graduates every year.

Fields like PR, magazine publishing, fashion, and sports marketing have always operated this way. They way under pay for talent, because they can. So many more people want to get into these fields than they have jobs.

With newspaper jobs shrinking, this is going to be the new normal.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Of course the suits will still make big money.

12. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

What I wonder is where the tipping point is for this where they just run out of people willing to do it for what they're paying. Eventually, people wake up, realize it's not worth it, and go off to do something else. So your talent pool drains itself after...what? Two or three years post-grad in the industry once they realize what it actually consists of and that they have a degree that allows them to get a much better entry-level job somewhere else. Meanwhile, mid-career talent is also seeing if they have other options, which many of them do. I just wonder who's left in the industry in the next 10 years. Or even the next five years.

Draft saved Draft deleted