1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this an appropriate lede for a high school baseball story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

The Only High School We Cover's baseball season and 10-game winning streak ended when league most valuable player Joe Jones flew out with the bases loaded in a 9-8 loss to Another High School in a first-round playoff game Wednesday.

The issue is -- is it right to mention the player who made the last out in the lede of a high school baseball story? I think it is because it is news.

This should not be a discussion of leading with something else in this 9-8 game. I just want feedback on is this appropriate. This also has nothing to do with Little League.

Player is a senior, but that should not change the equation.

He was three for four before making the final out, which should also not change the equation.

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

You would have used his name if the ball went over the wall, right?

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Well said. Of course the name should be mentioned.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Unless the lede in question was "The so-called MVP Jones blew it with the bases loaded", the name is fair game.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In today's Podunk Press...

Not crazy about it, and I am even less crazy about mentioning an error in the headline.

6. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I am curious about the reaction to that headline and angle about the missed fly ball. It might be too early for that now.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In a 9-8 game, I imagine Another High did more to win it than My High did to lose it. Horrible lede.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Maybe so, but if Another High isn't the school your paper covers, I can understand the need to lead with something on My High. If it's the end of a 10-game winning streak, I might lead with some sort of My High scene-setter or something.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not knowing how the other team scored the 9 runs, I would probably not use the the last out dude unless I talked to him and had quotes from him about it.

10. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

You have to write it from the perspective of the team YOU COVER.
    Nothing at all wrong with using the name, especially since you're likely going to mention his three other at-bats somewhere else in the story.

Not sure if it's lede-worthy or not because I don't know the details of the game. But the fact that the team's best player, who was already 3 for 3, came up in a one-run game with the bases loaded in the last inning definitely needs to be in the story somewhere.

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

I see no choice but to lead with him as long as you're not pinning the loss on him.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

It's not necessarily inappropriate, it's just unoriginal. Why write such a boring, AP-style lede when you could go with something more interesting that also wouldn't seem to blame the loss on the kid?

"League MVP Joe Jones had another fine day at the plate with three hits on Saturday, but when his ninth-inning, bases-loaded drive settled into the left fielders glove, The Only School We Cover's season, not to mention its 10-game winning streak, ended with a 9-8 loss to Another School in a first-round playoff game."

Draft saved Draft deleted