1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this all that's needed?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, May 21, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Ok.

Long weekend here in Canuckistan. I'm at a six-day-a-week paper.

Local ball team played Saturday and Sunday, but there is no paper today (Monday); the first paper to be published after both games is Tuesday.

I did a feature on a player and these are my only three sentences regarding the weekend games:
    He was 1-for-2 with an RBI in a 7-6 loss to the Podunk Rattlers Saturday at Downtown Park. Sunday, he went 1-for-3 in a 2-1 loss to the Bumbleville Bucks at Somewhere Stadium.
    The losses leave Smithtown 3-3.

The games are, after all, two and three days old, by the time the paper comes out. Is this all I need?

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

If you have some way to put some scores/stats in a box, in agate or in a quick notebook, I would. Your readers probably already know who won and why, but that won't stop them from wanting to see more in the paper.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Yeah, agreed Ty.

However, a paper on the heels of the long weekend is tight (four pages, which consists of agate, a sports front with banner ad, and two pages with two ads each).

I don't have much room with which to work.

And, I'm new here, so I'm not sure how well a "notebook" would fly.

Draft saved Draft deleted