1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a line from The Great Gatsby or a New York Times profile of Lena Dunham?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Sep 13, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Washington Post mocks the Times obsession with Lena Dunham:

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh boy, the Great Fatsby is back.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've never read anything by F. Scott Fitzgerald or watched or read anything by or about Lena Dunham. I scored perfectly because this quiz was petty clickbait. The big winner is the Times.

4. YankeeFan

The quiz may not have been great, but the Times does deserve to be mocked for the constant attention they pay to Dunham:

5. YankeeFan

Vers, here's a tougher quiz for you: http://www.crm114.com/algore/quiz.html

Let me know how you do.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That was excellent. I scored 42%.

7. YankeeFan

LOL. Isn't that crazy?

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I scored 10/10 on the Dunham quiz, which was not that complicated really. It made its point, though.

Scored 50% on Gore quiz, which just proves that he is bat-poop crazy.

9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Lots of the Times demographic loves (and identifies with) Girls. A lot also hates Lena Dunham with a passion. That the paper can satisfy the first while deliberately trolling the second is the sort of a passive-aggressive win we all should sort of admire.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So we should admire the Times or the Post?

Count me in on someone who doesn't like Lena Dunham. Something about her just rubs me the wrong way. Hate the show.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I've tried to like her because there was a small part of me that wondered, "If I really can't understand on any level what her appeal is, then I must be old and out of touch."

I listened to her on Stern, and I thought I was going to like her because she was a good sport about him calling her names on air. As soon as she started talking about herself, I was done.

Same when she was on Maron's podcast.

I know as a 40-year-old male I am not her target audience, but usually I can say, "It's not for me, but I understand why some like her."

I can't do that with her. I don't think she can act. I don't think she can write. I think, because of the nudity on her show, people like to hold her up and say, "I like Lena Dunham, it shows I'm hip and I can judge women based on inner beauty."

12. joe

joe Active Member

Today is the first I've heard of Lena Dunham. Sometimes it pays to live in flyover country.

Draft saved Draft deleted