1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a good reason to enjoy college basketball as opposed to the NBA?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Devin, Dec 19, 2010.

1. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

For your reference....

fast forward to 1:37 and 2:13.......

Then tell me again they don't play obnoxious music while the ball is in play. Does it "bother" me? I guess you could say so since it's supposed to be a basketball game not a dance party in the ghetto.

2. accguy

accguy Member

SamMills,

I get that you would pick Duke vs. Carolina over any Bobcats game. Almost anybody would, but that happens twice in the regular season, potentially once in the ACC Tournament and I guess it is possible for it to happen late in the NCAA Tournament.

But what if it is Duke vs. Colgate or Duke vs. Elon or Carolina vs. Lipscomb or Carolina vs. Evansville (all real games this year) and the option is Bobcats vs. Knicks or Bobcats vs. Orlando or Bobcats vs. Oklahoma City?

Who do you pick then?

I think every college teams play a few special games each season, but every NBA team plays way more above average games. And college teams play way more bad/uncompetitive games than NBA teams.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Why is it that so many people who dislike the NBA make veiled racist references when they do so?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They'll do it to bust the players' union once and for all -- get control of the salary structure (and pretty much everything else) essentially forever.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The 82-game schedule remains one of the roots of the cancer, because it compels too many teams to play on back-to-back nights, which virtually assures subpar efforts by the team thus victimized, a majority of the time. Only the Ivy league institutionalizes such death sentences in the colleges, and
    it's fortunate the competition isn't nearly so arduous at that level.

It would be a far better game with a 60-game season. Less than zero chance of that happening.
    Enjoy the all-too-frequent servings of offal, at bustout ticket prices.

6. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

The more I think about it, I don't know. The NHL has an 82 game season too and they play a tad more frequently than the NBA (especially during the playoffs) in terms of back-to-back games or number of games in a week. I watch a lot of hockey and I don't see the laziness in hockey that I see in the NBA. I don't see the same lack of effort.

And don't even try to tell me that basketball is more physically demanding than hockey.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

ACC,

I see your points, every one of them valid. But I'm the guy (yeah, yeah ... shush ... ) who will watch the Duke, Chapel Hill, NCSU vs. just about anyone else as opposed to the Bobcats vs. anyone.

Who will likely have more intriguing games and above-average matchups? The Bobcats, per your thoughts. But I would usually watch the ACC team, unless they were playing Athletes In Action or something of that ilk.

I can sometimes pick up things the team of interest in the game is doing. Sometimes, the alley-oops are overly plentiful because the Elons and Colgates of the world have no one taller than 6-foot-5. Sometimes the backups get more playing time, and show that they can be trusted more for short stretches. And sometimes, a player not on the front of the media guide shows that he is ready for the bigger, better thing and makes the team better. And I KNOW you can see all these things, too.

That's Duke and Chapel Hill, anyway. As for NCSU, it's get better in a hurry or it's going to be another rough ACC run and Sidney Lowe's last on the bench. And Wake Forest? Ron Wellman was known as a patient man. But I don't know if the same guy who quickly fired Dino Gaudio can watch this for much longer. Awful ...

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

it's not more physically demanding but generally hockey players are more prepared for the physical demands. a lot of the guys who wear down in the nba are big men. just off the top of my head, yao and bynum are 2 who've missed a bunch of time. also jonathan bender was mentioned as having a ton of potential but never was healthy. i think in general people that big have more health problems than average sized people. hockey players really aren't average size anymore but they're not way bigger than average size.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One reason more people prefer college basketball to the NBA is that there are 300-plus Division I college teams vs. 30 NBA teams.

So you are much more likely to have a vested interest in a college team than an NBA team.

And if you don't live in an NBA city, it's really hard to get excited over those games.

The players may be light years better, but you don't see people from non-NBA cities traveling to NBA games very often like you do in MLB and the NFL.

Draft saved Draft deleted