1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a good gamer lead?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Devin, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Devin

Devin Member

Well, as I read through the story I did not know if it was a column or a game story. I noticed with some small black publications that there has been an emphasis on mentioning fans, fan reactions in top half of games stories or adding aspects of commentary throughout the piece. Is this practice something that happens more often with mainstream publications or is this as a result of writers attempting to appeal to the blogger/social media crowd?

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Sorry.

That should have been "you has saves."

3. AD

AD Active Member

nice.

4. johnminko

johnminko New Member

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure as shit glad the Internet wasn't around when I was younger, considering some of the crap I threw out. Wow.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, not only did I not have to deal with the Internet as a newbie, I also had copy editors.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This is a 6,633-circulation weekly for the black community in Jackson.

Really? This gets a thread?

Pathetic.

8. Devin

Devin Member

It's been brought my attention that is was bush to make this post. The reason why I posted it was because to me the lead seemed a little unorthodox, and it was tough to determine if this was a traditional game story or commentary. And I just wanted the opinion of professional writers and editors on the matter. If I offended anyone, sorry. But I just wanted to know if that style of writing was proper.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Methinks you'd have been fine ... if you hadn't posted the link to the story, which bears the writer's name.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

For the defenders of this as trying something new...I might buy that if the final score wasn't written in the sixth the graph with the word to between the point totals.

11. Damn those small black publications for trying to capture the atmosphere of a game/event.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Ah, well, again ... I buried a few final scores in my day.

Draft saved Draft deleted