1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This A Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I had a laptop thread started, but now I have a friend selling me one for what I think is cheap.

Remember, all I really need it for is word processing, e-mail and internet. Basically so I can freelance and file remotely from ball parks, arenas, etc. I'm not photoshopping, laying out pages, etc. on this thing.

Here's the details on the laptop:

Dell C600 laptop.
    Pentium 3 processor - 750Mhz
    256 megs of RAM
    Windows XP SP2
    External wireless card
    Two mice (one brand new in the package to have as a spare as well as an external keyboard)
    A docking station so I can put the laptop in it and plug any devices into it on your desk (i.e. external keyboard, mouse, monitor)
    Some network cables for hardwire connection.
    Laptop case (although I already have one)
    It does have one USB port, which is a good thing.

He's asking $150 for all the above.

I trust the guy (he stood in my wedding) and I trust his computer knowledge (he went to school for it, is an IT guy for a major auto company). He's cleaned this thing up and upgraded as much as he could. It's his old computer.

Anyway, all that said, is this a good deal? Worth it?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Dude, it has a processor that was last in wide use early this decade. He couldn't upgrade that? That said, if you trust him, sure.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah. For $150, why not?

4. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

I'd pass and get something that won't tank at any minute. But for $150, it may be worth a shot.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Sure.

If it crashes on you, just kill his family.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The thing about used laptops is, well, they're used. If you're carrying it around, it's going to get beat up. At my current stop, we cycle out our laptops after two years. If that thing has a P3 in it, it's way older than that. Plus, I can't imagine having only one USB port (mine has four and that's still not enough.) I'd say pass.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If all you were going to use it for were word processing, that might be a good deal. But part of the reason the computer industry developed faster processors and expanded memory was the internet became so heavily graphic intensive. Forget about watching any streaming video online with that machine. And 256 megs of ram is half the minimum recommendation to run XP, so it will likely be really slow no matter what you're doing on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted