1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a fireable offense?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mighty_Wingman, Jul 25, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh. So that's why she isn't worthy of good taste. My bad.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't think the guy ought to be fired, but I think it's in incredibly poor taste.

I'll leave it at that.

3. So when did Todd Packer get a blog?

"What has two thumbs and hates Adam's apples? This guy!"

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, I agree. I think we throw around the possibility of somebody losing their job too easily in here sometimes. I mean, you're talking about somebody's life.

But I would make damn sure that the guy, and everybody who works with the guy, knows that something like this can never happen again.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I echo many of the sentiments here.

I also thought it was extremely condescending to keep up the he/she, Mike/Christine banter for so long. Explain the situation, then go with the preferred pronoun.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's ignorant to think that only attractive women are happy. Anybody got a picture of the writer of the blog so we can make catty comments about him? I don't think it's fireable, but his blogging duties should be revoked or reviewed by the top editor before they are sent out.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Columnists don't write about their wildly unattractive colleagues all the time. And let's agree, there's plenty to say about either gender.

I would say not a fireable offense, but definitely a 'get your fucking head out of your ass' offense.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's embarrassing. It has all the panache of a farting contest for 12 year olds.

If I reported to that guy, I'd immediately lose ALL respect.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Definitely not a fireable offense. Just a bad piece of writing in need of an editor. Take out these three sentences, and the column is still immature, but not offensive:

Christine is not an attractive woman.

The thing is, and maybe this is cruel, but there were women in that room who were born women in body as well as soul. And the difference between them and Christine was, in my mind, fairly stark.

10. If you post it/print it, and there's heat, and the editor doesn't also get fired, then this is what we call hanging someone out to dry.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If it is a blog, there may not be an editor. Writer may have self-posted.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Maybe the editor is not allowed to cut stuff. In any event, in a deadline business where stuff is subject to being railroaded, this is the reporter's burden to not send in stuff like that. If an editor introduces ghastly error or crappy stuff, it's on him then.

Draft saved Draft deleted