1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a fireable offense?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mighty_Wingman, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I'm with Ace.

I don't like this. Not at all. But would it be an issue on this board if it wasn't a sports reporter?

2. Based on someone's appearance? If he wants to go after performance, fine. But appearance was out of bounds.

Columnist strikes me as a prick who probably has a lot of interesting things to say about the women in his office when they're not around ...

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Elliotte,

Obviously there's an element of defensiveness because she's a reporter, and perhaps an element of P.C. chivalry (is that an oxymoron?) because of what she's gone through lately.

But I think it would be a much bigger issue if a newspaper columnist had written this exact same entry about a public figure -- let's say a politician, or an actor -- who had changed genders. I think it'd be a nearly Imus-level scandal, in fact.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For some reason I don't think editors take what is written in a blog nearly as seriously as what appears in the paper. If this had run in the paper, I think the writer would be gone in a second.

I thought Adrian Dater was going to be fired for his ESPN tirade and he wasn't. For the record, I'm glad he wasn't.

This guy is a colossal dumbass, but I hope he keeps his job.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I said columnists write unflattering stuff about people all the time. Not necessarily appearance, though.

What if he said that Christine looked great but was a crummy writer? Would that be OK?

I don't like it. I think that when you start your blog with a disclaimer that no one may know or care who you are going to write about it's strike 2.

But I just think we are reacting like he wrote about our sister.

6. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I'm reluctant to even comment because the column is so inane.

It's also beyond cruel and says a lot more about Paul than it does Christine.
    I don't know if he should be fired but he definitely should be ashamed.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

True.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm gonna go with gingerbread and leave it at that.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Just an utter lack of taste. And lazy. Why not talk to Christine for 10 minutes and see how she has been since starting this new life? Yeah, it's been done by Reilly and others, but it's the only way to write about her, if you really must do so.

Otherwise save your thoughts for an after-hours beer with a friend. If I'm the boss and you tell me at the bar that Daniels ain't the best looking gal ever, I'll say "OK...and how about those Yankees?" If you tell me this through a company product -- especially a BLOG that I have not read prior to publishing -- we got problems. Maybe not fireable if we're talking union shops, etc., but my thoughts of you as a respectable journalist will be kaput. And that can be even worse than being shown the door.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Your grandmother was Bruce Smith?

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And to that I say, why shouldn't we?

Why should Christine Daniels be afforded any less defense?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I can see, after covering the Beckham non-news, nothing-burger, hurry-up-and-wait, he's-almost-ready-to-play, he-might-play-sometime-next-week-or-maybe-next-month, "news events" (har-dee-har har) for any length of time, you would be scratching for something, anything, to write about.

Commenting on the physical appearance, for better or worse, of a writer for another newspaper (in fact, a competing newspaper) would seem to be pretty far down on the list of potential subject matter.

On the other hand, Daniels has more or less invited such public discussion by making a public issue of his/her conversion, so my sympathy factor is quite definitely limited.

Firing offense? No. Stern-talking-to offense? Yes.

Ever do it, or anything similar, again, see ya later.

Draft saved Draft deleted