1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a fireable offense?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mighty_Wingman, Jul 25, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I worked with Paul back in the day. Good guy at that time anyway.

But no way I'd let one of my people write or post such a thing. Yikes.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Paul is a former boss of mine (I put in close to 12 years over two stints in San Bernardino) and learned a lot. He's been there more than 20 years, as sports editor, then became sports editor/columnist (1992 I want to say), then went to be news-side columnist then returned a year or two later as just the sports columnist. Very good guy.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seems inappropriate to me. Not everyone is a bikini model.

How many of us would look stunning in a dress and heels at age 50?

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Is it touchy? Yes.
    Does it probably cross the line? Yes.
    Is it fireable? God no.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

as someone who writes a whole lot of off-the-cuff blog stuff, guy should be fired on the spot. inexcusable. gone. see ya, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I disagree. What if some athlete no one really knew or liked was trans gendering and he wrote the same thing about her? Would anyone say he should be fired?

I think it's inappropriate but not something I would can someone over.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Didnt Reilly talk about her looks when he did his couln a couple of weeks ago?

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Of course it's fireable, unless he's in a union.
    I never would defend plagiarism in any form, but in terms of harm done, what's worse? This mean-spirited, personal and not amusing crap, putting someone who isn't really newsworthy in the line of fire and actively hurting someone's feelings? Or lifting a few paragraphs from some publication somewhere that hurts ... no one? But people can get fired for doing the latter with no one batting an eye.
    Funny how being lazy behind closed doors can get you fired in this business, but being a real jerk for all the world to see, while representing your paper so badly, might not.

This ain't something you can apologize for, either. If it's a published apology, it will just call more attention to the nasty attack. If it's a private apology, it's b.s., too -- insulting someone in public then apologizing in private. Something a stinking ball player or coach would do.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Bingo.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes but columnists write unflattering stuff about people all the time.

11. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

It's a spectacular lapse in judgment and certainly grounds for taking away his column/blog, but it's not a fireable offense. Regardless the man needs to spend 41 cents on a stamp and send Christine an apology.

12. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Columnists write "all the time" about people's appearance? Really?

I'm not sure if this column is a firing offense, but it's pretty despicable.

Draft saved Draft deleted