1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This A Conflict of Interest?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SoSueMe, Mar 3, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Actually, let me go on record as someone who is a little disturbed by the power that has been handed to you. I didn't take the time to mention it earlier. I'm not sure whether a congratulations is in order. It almost seems like a prison sentence. But I wish you well and apologize in advance for remarks about the angry dragon.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

SoSueMe has no credibility since he was kicked out of Notre Dame and has no scruples. [/Jim Delany]

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

That is a big issue with the CIS and the CCAA (the college level teams below CIS). the other issue is the schools likely are not prepared to pay for travel costs on top of officiating fees to bring in officials from neutral centres. I know the local CCAA school I cover is about 2 to 2 1/2 hours away from any major centre and there are no accredited officials locally to do CCAA basketball, so they have to bring them in from Edmonton and the travel costs are as much if not more than officiating fees. They very quickly spend several hundred dollars a game on officials, and considering the team isn't exactly a big money maker, it's a tough pill for them to swallow. As well they do see a lot of biases out of these officials, especially when Edmonton teams are in town. As someone who is unbiased like myself and really has no stake in the game, you do start to see the one sidedness and it is unfortunate.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

What's the caliber of play in the CIS equal to in the U.S.? NCAA Division III? NAIA?

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

the problem with gauging objectivity in basketball officials is that - unless he's blatantly favoring his alma mater which seems unlikely - officials basically have to make makeup calls and there is a lot of subjectivity in many calls. so no one will really ever know.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Hard to really compare. The top teams could probably compete with the mid to lower Div I. The rest would probably fit Div. II. I know a lot of CCAA teams will play Div III schools in exhibition. That's for basketball. I know for Volleyball CIS is very competitive with NCAA Div I.

Draft saved Draft deleted