1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is This A Conflict of Interest?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SoSueMe, Mar 3, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Here's something that's been bothering me and a friend lately:

Up here in Canada, the CIS (Canadian Interuniversity Sport) is the highest calibre of basketball played at universities; it's our NCAA, if you will.

Anyway, we can think of and watch two two referees who graduated from and PLAYED FOR university teams they officiate on a regular basis.

I'm CONVINCED one of them is a homer.

My question: Should these officials be allowed to ref their alma mater's games?

Secondary question: Would this be allowed in the NCAA?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Conflict of Interest

No.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I know stuff like this happens a lot on the preps level, but it shouldn't ever happen on the collegiate level.

4. busuncle

busuncle Member

No, it shouldn't happen, if for no other reason than it APPEARS to be a conflict of interest.

That said, I'm always skeptical when people are "convinced" that officials are biased against one school or another -- that goes for any level, but especially higher-level officials.

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Well, I'm not convinced that it's a sign of trouble, but I wouldn't want to bet against the ref's former team, either.

And now I'm going to flip it around 180 degrees and ask you to look in the mirror. Could you cover your alma mater with 100 percent objectivity? I know it doesn't affect the outcome, but I think it's as much of a conflict of interest, and one that is ignored in a lot of cases.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I completely agree.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I only say I'm convinced because I noticed a while ago. A long time went by where I never saw a game featuring the ref and the school. But this year I saw two games, and both times it sure seemed to be one-sided. And I've seen him do games that don't feature his alma mater.

And, today, someone mentioned it to me, unsolicited.

8. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Even if a ref swears to be objective, he might subconsciously make decisions that favor his former team. And is this someone who played for the coach that is the coach today? That also plays a role.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Current ACC referee Bryan Kersey admitted on a radio show that he cheered for North Carolina when he was growing up. And he's done several Tar Heels game this season. He didn't matriculate at UNC, however. I'm sure Karl Hess never would work a game at Liberty, where he set scoring records.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm willing to bet that the problem in the CIS is they probably don't have enough officials accredited to do games at that level, so they take what they can get.

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I agree Double J, but that reffing fraternity is an Old Boys Club. There are qualified officials who don't get a chance.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

There has to be a Karl Hess joke in here. But now that I'm management.... that's just an easy excuse for me to say nothing funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted