1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this a bad reply?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by williemcgee51, Jul 25, 2008.

1. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I always reply to both favourable and unfavourable mail. I don't think we're above explaining why we do what we do. If it turns bad from there, I just say thanks for reading.

2. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Never be afraid to tell someone why you wrote a story they way you did. Why did up write about the boys?

If there is a compelling case, you are all set. If you made a bad decision, admit it.

But,m above all else, don't just say thanks for reading. What a jerk you are being. And, I complain to people about how they do thier jobs all the time. If my burger isn't done right I complain. It's not like journalists are the only one that has to get complaints.

Hell, at least people are reading.

3. awriter

awriter Active Member

For the same reason you would expect a store clerk or waiter to acknowledge you. The readers are your customers.
    If you're swamped or the e-mail gets lost in the flood of press releases, that's understandable. But if you have a minute, you should respond.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Slam a half-dozen shots, then fire off the e-mail.
    In vino veritas my friend, in vino veritas.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So why was 75 percent of the story about the boys?

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah. Unless the boys did something amazing -- including a local kid winning first -- I'm not sure how it warrants that much of the story space. And how low was the girl's accomplishment in the story?

Draft saved Draft deleted