1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there such thing as ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newsguyone, Feb 7, 2007.

1. newsguyone

newsguyone Member

You don't get it.
    I am the editor.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

NGUno --

I do sympathize with your plight. I've been a one-man show. And it sucks. But you're going to get it with both barrels here until you heel. Just a fact.

With that said, RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

3. newsguyone

newsguyone Member

Holy Hell.

What a bloody drama queen.

Again, with the baseless assumptions.

If I were in a different situation, in different organization, with more clearly defined roles and a specific duty, you can bet the bloody house that I'd think about things in a different light.

I am in not in that situation.

I really don't care what you think and whether or not you'd trust me.

But why on earth would you even consider it your place to say so.

4. newsguyone

newsguyone Member

I do.

5. newsguyone

newsguyone Member

When the guy brought up fist fucking, I assume cocksucking was appropo.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Apropos.

You're about to learn lesson number one in this business.

Never pick an unnecessary fight with a bunch of copy editors.

7. newsguyone

newsguyone Member

No shit.
    Anyway ...

I guess coming here and asking about an AP style check in a word processor is like walking down the assemby line and asking workers why there aren't more robots ...

Seems to me that it would be a useful piece of software.

Anyway, I'm out.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hey, we like our beer cold and our homosexuals FLAMING!

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Seems to me that an AP style-check wouldn't be much use at all, because context is so important when it comes to grammar and style.

You can find-and-replace misspelled words with no problem.

But a computerized AP style-check would pull up every date that's listed with no time/place, would pull up every town name that doesn't have a state abbreviation (except for the two dozen U.S. cities that don't need it), would pull up so many "incorrect" styles that your newspaper has adapted for its own use, that it wouldn't be worth the trouble it takes to use it.

Better to know AP style, know your paper's style, and read the story yourself. Sometimes technology for the sake of technology isn't worth it after all.

10. Newsguy, if you don't take the time to learn the style book you're going to have a difficult time ever getting hired at a paper that gives a style test as part of its hiring process.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I am convinced spellcheckers will be for writing what fossil fuels have been for the environment. I can only imagine an AP stylechecker being just as detrimental.

In addition, it would probably be harder to do since the stylebook does change with a lot more frequency than, say, the dictionary.

Draft saved Draft deleted