1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there such thing as ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newsguyone, Feb 7, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Dammit! When are we getting the "cocksucking" smiley?

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Cocksuckers. __ = Bad
    Cocksuckers. ;) = Good

3. newsguyone

newsguyone Member

Despite your ignorant charges, I'm perfectly confident that I am performing my job well. That's between the publisher and I.
    I'd like to do it better and be more productive. The paper I work for is 100 percent better than it was before I took over.
    I was asking about the availability of a tool I thought might help.

Like I said, it's a small newsroom (one desk). I do what I can.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I am fairly confident that you wouldn't get hired at my rag, because looking for ways around the basics (learning AP style) tells me you're not doing your job well.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

As has been said, AP style is ever-changing so you must have a good sense of it to understand it. A computer is no substitute for knowledge. The "tool" you seek, an AP style-check, is not going to help you much if you're just looking for an automatic quick fix.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Buckdub --

I have to agree with others. Can we get a different sig pic?

That's just fucking creepy.

7. newsguyone

newsguyone Member

JudgmentMonkeys. All of Yea.

8. newsguyone

newsguyone Member

I think it could ...
    I get a lot of press releases that I turn into clips.
    Sure would be nice if something could do the time, date place thingy for me. That gets old real quick.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This is the point at which, months ago, I would have said that some of you ARE acting like cork-soakers.

But I've learned not to do that.

But I still think an interactive AP stylebook would be a great piece of software.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

While it's annoying as fuck that so many writers don't understand time-date-place, it takes two seconds to change.

But you're perpetuating the problem making a statement such as "I'm lazy and would rather not committ the AP Style Guide to memory."

That's the same attitude that makes an editor have to change it all the time in a writer's copy. 8)

Sloppy press releases? Well, that's part of the job.

11. True dat.

12. I'm not all bad. At least that's what the hookers keep telling me.

And I don't like to lecture. It's just that you asked a question, waited all of eight responses and then went fucking berserker on some guy. I thought maybe you needed to lighten up a bit. But this cocksucker business has put me in a much better mood, so I'll stop being such a buzzkill.

Draft saved Draft deleted