1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there such thing as ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newsguyone, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I've been on papers that didn't use spell check because they felt it made copy editors lazy. I disagree with not using it -- cuts down on typos -- but even with spell check I wouldn't want a copy editor who can't spell. Because they're bound to fuck up really bad someday.

Quite a few years ago, there was a story about a large newspaper that reported "the budget is back in the African-American" because someone had devised a program that changed "black" to "African-American" when the newspaper changed its style.

The best stylebook I've seen said, "This book is not intended as a substitute for common sense." I want copy editors to have the background so they know when to break the rules. That is unlikely to happen if they let a machine do a significant part of their job.

Sorry, spell check is one thing. A robotic style machine is quite another.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Of course, spell check can screw up the works something awful too.

You might be trying to spell cornshucker and come up with cocksucker.

3. newsguyone

newsguyone Member

Ahem. Look at the advice I asked for. Look at the advice (and tone with which it was delivered) I received.

Hence cocksuckers.

4. newsguyone

newsguyone Member

That's where we differ.
    A robotic style machine doesn't bother me a bit.
    I can choose when I want to use it, and when I don't.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, I would get rid of that preposition at the end of your sentence, move your parenthetical to the end of the third sentence and put a comma after Hence and before cocksuckers.

But that's just one cocksucker's opinion.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I don't know if everyone gets the same ads or not, but the ad in the post above my previous post reads:

"Memorizing is cruel"

The jokers. ;D

7. newsguyone

newsguyone Member

Heh.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You are entitled to your opinion. I am just happy we don't work together. I wouldn't trust you. You just don't get what copy editing is, thus you wouldn't be good at it.

9. Dude, he capped what he wrote with a winky face. Although a bit gay, I'm pretty sure there's no better way to let someone know you're joking on the Internet.

If you ask for advice, be prepared to get some useful and some not so useful. In the future try to not blow a fucking gasket the second someone says something remotely negative.

Christ, just reading your posts I need to go take a sedative.

10. newsguyone

newsguyone Member

How long before the Google ads read "Free Cocksucking!"

11. You weren't looking for advice. You were trying to avoid having to know how to properly do your job. Last month some dude came on asking about a book he was supposed to read for a report that was due two days later. He was roundly criticized for it. Same thing here.

12. newsguyone

newsguyone Member

Look, you obviously liked Arrested Development, so you can't be all that bad.

I guess I'm just not sure why you feel the need to lecture about when and where I should use the word "cocksucker."

I'm being lighthearted.
    Must it be demonstrated with winkyfaces?

Draft saved Draft deleted