1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there such a thing as getting a raise anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thegrifter, Oct 12, 2007.

1. audreyld

audreyld Guest

My last shop gave us all money. I got $100, I think, and I'd been there less than a year.

I miss them.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

And you felt all warm and gooey inside for having made the world a better place, didn't you?

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I did. Oh, it's true.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Honestly, I've never worked at a place that gave a Christmas bonus. I didn't even know that was an option. Who am I, Clark Griswold?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

[​IMG]

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Money for the swollen salaries of United Way executives.

I can execute my own charitable giving far more efficiently than those creeps.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Buddy at a family paper in SC got an extra paycheck for two weeks for a Christmas bonus last year. He loves his job.

8. Did I open the can of worms too soon? It's not even Halloween yet and stores are selling Xmas decorations and we're moping about Xmas bonuses. The "Christmas creep" theory is now fact.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

My brother spent the summer before last working part time for a local lumber yard owned by a local family. They treated him great, paid him more than I make now, randomly handed out money to buy lunch with sometimes ... just great. Then he went back and worked like two days while he was on his Christmas break from school. They gave him a raise, and a $200 Christmas bonus.

Of course, he did work at a lumber yard ...

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Is that lumber yard hiring now?

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Last received a bonus in 2004, and I've gotten two in the last 10 years. That's not going to change with my latest job. I figure that cow long since left the barn, so get used to water instead of milk.

12. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

I was told I got one of the bigger raises in my department, although when I crunched the numbers, it added up to an extra latte at Starbucks every week. Then I really crunched the numbers and outsmarted everyone. Did you know a latte costs $3.50 at Starbucks, while an Americano costs $2.50. If you tell them to leave room, you can add your own milk and its the same as a latte. Bam! Take that suckas...

Draft saved Draft deleted