1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there such a thing as getting a raise anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thegrifter, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Mira

Mira Member

Despite small raises, I will say two good things about my company: They match what we put into our 401K and after almost seven years I've acquired 22 days of vacation (not including holidays.)

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Short answer: They don't. For all the HR blather about it being more expensive to hire and train new people, it's telling that raises are low and turnover is high. I've been in the biz for 17 years, and that hasn't changed. This always reminds me the Bond line: You expect me to get out of this? No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!

Dan, I hate to break it to you, but they're not lucky to have you sticking around. If you stick around, they consider themselves unlucky. I don't care what job you have, it's a warm-body job (as in, almost any warm body willing to take it will do) and they're quite happy for you to leave, because someone else will be desperate enough to take it for less. That's the reality in the majority of places as far as I can tell.

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Thanks, and you can rest assured that I know the reality of the situation.

And I was writing in general terms. My situation was a little different in some ways, and the same in other ways.

4. schrdp2002

schrdp2002 Member

I agree with that statement...

5. Wait another month or two until we start bitching about our nonexistant Christmas "bonus." You have yet to read depressing.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

$15 gift cards, baby! I'd rather get nothing. That's just insulting.

7. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Then you need to come to my shop. The Christmas bonus there is getting to wrap up at 9 p.m. on Christmas Eve.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Given the choice between a $15 gift card and finished a few hours early?

I'll take the extra time.

9. Mira

Mira Member

My company doesn't do squat for Christmas bonuses. My boss pulls money out of his pocket and gives us a $10 Blockbuster or restaurant gift card each year.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Certificate for a frozen turkey, anyone?

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That's nice of your boss.

I'm sure I'll get some patronizing letter in my check with photocopied signatures from the "higher-ups" thanking us for our 'hard work and dedication in making the Bumblefuck Gazette a truly great newspaper."

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

One of my last stops didn't believe in an X-mas bonus. Instead, they donated money in our names to a charity.

Draft saved Draft deleted