1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there such a thing as getting a raise anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thegrifter, Oct 12, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um, are you all hiring?

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I basically get COL raises, too. I got 3% last year at 3.5% this year after I looked up the raise in COL (the gov't upped Social Security payments by 3.2% or something, so after one year I was making like .2 less than when I started. I made my feelings known and got the 3.5%)

I considering myself somewhat lucky. My boss is awesome. She realizes my job takes overtime, and sometimes significant overtime. When I go way over, she grumbles a little, but never much. When I bitch about my raise, she listens.

I know some of the other offices in our chain are not that way. Most of those guys put down 40 hrs no matter what.

Really though, luck is a relative term when we're still talking about less than 26k with all the tiny perks I just listed. It doesn't really add up too much, but its nice my boss seems to care.

Hope she doesn't get fired.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Cutting vacation is really a bullshit move, especially if someone's been there for a while.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

The only way to get a significant pay increase in this business is to leave or threaten to leave (with a firm offer in hand, of course). It's been that way for at least the past decade.

5. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

I got promoted earlier this year and received a 36 percent raise. It was easily the biggest boost I've gotten without changing newspapers. Boss was apologetic that he couldn't do more. Graciously, I allowed him to feel guilty about it.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Yes.

7. We didn't get one last year and apparently aren't getting one this coming year at all, which will make it two years without one.

Last year when I told one of my bosses that I was worried about the state of the business and having a future in it where I'm able to comfortably raise a family, he said, "I guess I've always felt that the most important thing was enjoying what you do."

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Sounds like the words of a guy who already got his. :(

Said it before, will say it again: You will never get a better raise than the one you negotiate when you take the job. Get all you can up front.

Contrary to what they say, it's not as easy to hire someone as it looks. Recruiting costs the company money, and leaving jobs open has its cost in lost productivity. Turnover has costs, too. Intelligent companies look to reduce those as much as possible.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no. it sounds more like a guy who receives a bonus for coming in under his yearly budget.

10. He's actually a great editor when it comes to the way he treats his staff. I think that's sincerely how he tries to look at it, and I think he sincerely doesn't want his people to be miserable.

But it doesn't change the fact that it's making things difficult.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Sincerity and enjoying writing a feature about Podunk High's quarterback does not pay the mortgage.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

We haven't gotten raises the last two years. But, they gave us a check for something like a grand at the start of the past two years, which is about the same as getting the standard raise. Trouble is, that doesn't help your pension down the road. I guess it's better than nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted