1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there such a thing as getting a raise anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thegrifter, Oct 12, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I believe in loyalty, too. But not when it's not returned.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

So leave.

What's she going to do when you do? Fire you? Not give you that extra one percent?

I was SE at a small daily for two years, didn't get a raise during that time, either. I think it sucks, but employers these days don't have a lot of reasons to be generous. They've got most people by the short, curly hairs in this business and they (and we) know it.

I'm very happy with my current employer, though. For whatever problems the paper has, it treats employees well. Very well in most ways.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

We got a contract. No raises for the next three years. Dramatic increases in health care deductions and copays. (Effectively a $25 per week pay cut, immediately. We've been told to expect much higher deductions the next two years.) Personal days cut from 5 to 3; everybody loses a week of vacation across the board.

Also, no more guaranteed weekends (days off no longer required to be consecutive), and no shift scheduling restrictions. You can work until 2 a.m. one night, and be scheduled back in the office at 8 a.m.

Good times.

4. At my last shop, we got a 1.5 percent raise and mgmt told us we were "lucky" in the memo that announced it. Wish I would have saved a copy of that to post here.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Hopefully you'll have a manager who won't schedule you that way.

I couldn't do that to anyone.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I've heard of taking it up the ass, but that just sounds like it being shoved in like a baseball bat.
    With no lube.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

You, sir, have been ponied.

8. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

damn this thread is depressing.

9. Mira

Mira Member

Um, no. It's called a cost-of-living increase.

I got nada one year ... 1 and 2 percent a couple other years.

Haven't there been hundreds of threads on this topic?

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

So far, the ME has tried to avoid it, to avoid whole-scale mutiny, but we haven't seen what happens when a lot of people are on vacation. OR, what happens after the next round of layoffs.

(Of course, with vacation cut back 25-33-50% across the board, there can't BE that many people on vacation any more).

I'll use my Monday/Thursday "weekend" to think about it next week. ;)

11. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

guess i never read them cause i haven't been fucked over yet. till now.
    thank god for the SportsJournalists.com jobs board.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We get regular COL raises. It's not much, but it's better than nothing.

I went two years without getting a raise after being promoted. I went to my boss about it and he'd forgotten to put in the paperwork. He was legitimately distressed about it. He managed to get a nice bump put through. And he had HR figure out how much I would have gotten if the raises had gone through on my anniversary dates and got a me a lump check for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted