1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there such a thing as getting a raise anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thegrifter, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

I'd assault any grown man who would dare offer $13,000 per year. That's insulting.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

http://poynter.org/forum/?id=32127

Looks like the "temporary" 5% pay cut at the Suburban Chicago Daily Herald is going to be made permanent. However, to offset the pay cut, pay increases, frozen since August, will be reinstated and made retroactive.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good for them. that's good to hear. they're givers.

4. schrdp2002

schrdp2002 Member

sometimes the best raise is getting a new job.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

It's threads like these that make me quite happy to have the employer I do.

My paper might have its share of problems, but treating its employees poorly isn't one of them.

Last December, my boss showed up on my doorstep one afternoon with a plate of home-baked cookies and a letter telling me I would be getting a $1.25/hour raise starting the next pay cycle. That was in addition to the end-of-year bonus of a couple hundred dollars.

This year, my share of the company pie was $375. The raise thing hasn't happened -- yet. But I have no reason to think it won't.

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

In addition to the small raise, the Christmas party has been cancelled. I guess that's the norm, too.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

At my paper, you had to PAY to attend the Christmas party. And, there were FEWER TICKETS THAN EMPLOYEES! So, if you waited too long to decide, it may have been "sold out."

I had no intentions of going anyway.

As for a raise. We're a union shop. I'm due for a "raise" (because the contract/pay grid says so) at the midway point of next year.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

In this case, RSVP can be translated to "Go fuck yourself."

Draft saved Draft deleted