1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there such a thing as getting a raise anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thegrifter, Oct 12, 2007.

1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

A friend of mine mentioned that she hadn't received a raise in like two years.
    I was shocked. Couldn't believe it.
    Then, my yearly comes around and I'm saddled with a 2 percent increase, the lowest in my career.
    Someone tell me I have reason to be pissed, or is this just becoming the norm? Should I just be happy to have received anything at all?

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

My last gig I got a 2 percent raise and was told only one or two people in Sports got the full raise -- 3 percent.

I think it's pretty standard for brass at papers to do whatever they want. It's clear they will continue to get away with it.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I haven't been stiffed yet. Usually get about 5 percent. Got quite a bit more my last raise, due to a job promotion.

Hope the money keeps coming, but I'm not holding my breath.

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

MU, you gotta be kidding me! That's such horseshit!
    And they wonder why nobody sticks around. Seriously. Why stay for your 2 percent when you can leave and make more money?
    This business doesn't make sense at all.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I was told -- granted my SE was repeating what the EE said -- that not getting the full 3 percent might "motivate" me to do more.

Huh.

The paper had a hell of a lot of redeeming qualities. The pay raise was not one of them, especially after I looked at the numbers. Specifically, my 2-percent raise equaled $660. My apartment rent went up $50 per month. So after my paying for my extra monthly rent, I would have cleared (I left before the full year was up) all of $60 for the year.

Or $5 a month.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Granted, I've only stayed at one place for a long period of time, but I've never gotten a raise at either of my three stops. I was promised two or three of them at a shop where I worked for 21 months. Never saw a thing. Of course, they did cut the overtime I was "guaranteed," which was really helpful. ...

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I've been here three years. No contract for the guild. Therefore, no raise, no cost of living, no nothing. I'm making exactly what I started here making.

So all of you can go to hell. :D

8. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

How do they expect people to stick around when they do that shit? Because of my moving expenses, I was highly compelled to stay here. But now, with my year being up, I'm even more compelled to leave.
    Just strikes me as unbelievable.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I got a big whopping 3 percent this year. I got an almost 10K raise when I took the job, however.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

"If you don't want to work for that amount of money, someone else will."

If this business has taught us anything, it's that we're all replaceable.

11. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

When I got here, the ME asked that i stay at least two years. Said she didn't want any short-timers.
    I said I believe in loyalty and I have no problem with that. Until now.

12. ARD

ARD Member

Same here, only for two years. Sigh.

Draft saved Draft deleted