1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there something wrong with this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BRoth, Sep 15, 2007.

1. BRoth

BRoth Member

So reporters in the newsroom got new laptops recently and the executive editor and editors mentioned to us how it makes it now convenient that we can all go out and spend more time in our beat areas. They keep mentioning this in passing.

This comes on the heels of them closing our satellite offices a few months ago.

I'm all for being in and around your beat, but does it seem weird that they want us to leave the office and go play on our laptops elsewhere instead of actually spending time in the office? I don't mind going out, but my beat is 45 minutes away from where I live and 20 from the offices and I think I'd rather spend the majority time at the office unless I do have to go cover something. Especially with that whole "winter" thing coming up.

Does this make sense or am I just whining? No one has said out and out they want us to go spend __ hours or days in our beat area, but it's continually suggested how great it is that we can do that now, etc.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

God forbid you leave your desk and go talk to the people you write about ...

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I would rather be out talking to the people that I cover than in the office.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

let me get this straight, you're complaining about being away from the office?

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Does not compute ...

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think reporters spend waaaay too much time in the office.

Get outside and report. Wear a coat.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Only if it's cold.

8. BRoth

BRoth Member

Guess I'll suck it up. I just enjoy the flexibility of being around the office and going out to report rather than vice versa.

I suppose I have a bright future ahead of me as a copy editor.

9. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Sorry BRoth, but this doesn't quite add up...

Your shop GAVE you a laptop and told you to spend more time around your beat. How is that a bad thing? From being out of the office, to being able to be closer to your beat (think about the breaking news and types of features you can get with more time there). And it, what, costs you 25 minutes on your drive? Satellite radio, a new music or book on CD and those 25 minutes fly by.

Is it really that fun in your office?

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Dude, I died a little every day when I took a job as a copy editor and was confined to a desk and a phone for interviews. It sucks so bad when you're a reporter at heart.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

As an old boss of mine once said, "I don't see any stories breaking here in this newsroom. Get out where the stories are." And I'm not nominating that for any great brilliance -- it is common sense for our business.

A litmus test of a bad SE or any department head is when someone believes in "face time," the idea that reporters need to be in the office, almost keeping strict office hours, to prove they're earning their pay. Worked for two of those jerks, worst bosses I ever had.

But y'know something? Brown-noses seem to spend more time in the office than non-brown-noses, and damn if more of the SE and asst. SE jobs don't go their way.

12. BRoth

BRoth Member

That's the funny thing. The head editors are good people, but they are very strict about hours and weekly pay. They want us to be out and about - which I don't necessarily mind - but they also want to see 40 hours a week every time.

Draft saved Draft deleted