1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there some giant AP database of Everyone's Phone Number?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Oct 11, 2008.

1. It seems like they manage to reach anyone they need to reach in like forty-five seconds. Do they have a huge shared contact list, are they just well-connected, or am I imagining this?

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Ummm ... were you not around when that list got put on the wire a few years ago?

And those were just the contacts of one writer.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I've been around for a couple of those CONTACT sends.
    I like the follow-up alerts.
    "The contact list that moved at 14:19 EDT was sent erroneously. Please ignore."
    Yeah. Sure.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

We also promise not to look while she changes into her bikini.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I think the big one DC referenced was followed by a couple of breathless "DELETE! DELETE!" alerts. That was fun. :D

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Don't famous people change their phone number every 15 minutes these days? And hasn't caller ID taken a lot of ooomph out of the cold call?

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'd say fewer people than ever change their numbers these days. Anybody who's moved knows what a huge hassle it is, and now that you can keep your cell number even when you switch providers or locations, it's not worth it to change unless you absolutely need to.

I'll put it this way: That big AP list that went out a few years ago? It ain't outdated by any means.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Did you spend a weekend calling all the numbers?

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Every day, pall. Every damn day. 8)

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

No, there's no consolidated list for all the buros, but there is a printed booklet that has them all (but not individual people) listed.

I think maybe there's a NY and/or DC list in existence.

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I'd like to have that list.

Hopefully the PM's will be coming in any minute now :) ...

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Not my experience. I encounter baseball players who change their numbers all the time, mostly because too many people (translation: women they're no longer interested in) have their "old" number.

Draft saved Draft deleted