1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there not a running NHL season thread?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da man, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Leaf fans have no trouble judging their current team after three games. Or one even. Maybe none.

Liut likes this.
  2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I've watched two of the three and what struck me was how poorly the Kings' power play performed.

I still think Justin Williams' on-the-ice and in-the-room leadership will be greatly missed.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Maybe they aren't use to playing without coke in their system.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Watched the Islanders' Barclays Center debut and was pleasantly surprised to hear the voice of the great Jiggs McDonald. I guess with Howie Rose handling the Mets' playoff run, Jiggs was brought in to do the games. I've been listening to him dating back to his stint with the Atlanta Flames. I was too young to catch him in Los Angeles, but Jiggs once regaled me in some Jack Kent Cooke stories.

One of the greats and a damn good guy.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was growing up not far from the Nassau Coliseum during the 1980s, with Jiggs McDonald doing the play-by-play and Eddie Westfall doing the color commentary. Stan Fischler was the studio guy.

Liut likes this.
  6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

That's cool, Ragu. As I recall it, Jiggs had no interest in following the Flames to Calgary and landed the Islanders' job at one hell of a time to get it, didn't he? I watched him do Flames games on Ted Turner's WTCG, then the Isles on WOR. Fond memories from my childhood. Loved Jiggs with Boom Boom in the ATL; loved him with Westfall, too.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When I was probably about 12 or 13, during the postgame on Sportschannel, they would do a call in -- with Jiggs and Stan Fischler, I believe, answering questions. I was way into those teams -- and I started calling into the postgame show almost every night -- often getting on the air with them. I guess they knew I was a little kid, and they started to recognize me, and one time after they went off the air, the phone rang back (wall phone in the kitchen) and one of them told me I had been chosen for a prize for asking the best question of the night -- and they sent me a package with some fan gear. I am guessing the best question of the night thing was BS and they just recognized that I was a little kid. But I am not sure. Either way, it was really nice.

The wild thing is that I got away from where I grew up when I was 18 and really never went back. I also fell out of love with hockey during the 1990s. I didn't hate it, but I didn't follow closely. When I finally rediscovered it, I started following the Rangers, and they are my team now. I am pretty ambivalent toward the Islanders, especially in Brooklyn.

Liut likes this.
  8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Whenever any of the old Kings' announcers get together, the conversation always becomes Jack Kent Cooke stories: I'm talking about Jiggs, Bob Miller, Dan Avey, Rich Marotta, Pete Weber. And there are also a few George Maguire tales, like the time the team stayed at the Loew's hotel in NY and there was a phone in the bathroom. Maguire: "This is great. I can make trades while I'm taking a shit."

Liut likes this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Jiggs and Boom was the greatest combination in the history of hockey broadcasting. And Boomer's commercials for Colonial Lincoln-Mercury were comedy gold.

BTW, I really like Darryl Reaugh here in Dallas (he was very, very good with Ralph Strangis), but he's no Boom Boom.

Liut likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"We're going to do it like Patrick Kane!"

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

They aren't even in the same ballpark. :)

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

What's wrong with the Ducks? No goals on 91 shots and 0 fer. Ugly.

Draft saved Draft deleted