1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there even one lawyer in the Bush administration?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Jan 27, 2007.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I ask only because this group is 0-fer in court decisions regarding the dumbass stuff they try to pull off. You'd think if there were just one lawyer on the staff there, some of this stuff would be stopped long before a judge brought the hammer down.

Here's the latest: Yes, the EPA does have to do the job it was created to do no matter who's in the White House.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/judge-rules-against-bush-epa-policy/20070126192509990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

2. Yeah, but Gonzales is in charge of them.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, not sure if Gonzalez was directly involved, but the U.S. Justice Department did one thing really right last week. They made an arrest in the the 1964 "Mississippi Burning" case that had all but been forgotten. A CBC reporter took up the cause with the brother of one of the victims and the Justice Department reopened the case a few years ago, culminating in the arrest. It made me feel really good for the victim's family, which has had to live with the injustice of it for so many years. Here's a link to a story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070126/ap_on_re_us/justice_delayed

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

this was an amazing story about how the old man's family tried to fake his death and the brother kept digging.

anyway, this is not something to credit to the bush administration. there aren't two sides to this. democrat, republican, whatever, it's good to catch and try a bad guy.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, I am not doing cartwheels congratulating the administration for this. But how many justice departments have come and gone since 1964 that haven't made an arrest and handed down an indictment? They deserve some credit, even if it's just in passing, and even if the reporter who took up the cause was the main catalyst.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

A lot of credit should go to Jerry Mitchell of the Clarion-Ledger for these old Civil Rights cases going back to court in Mississippi in recent years.

If you're unfamiliar with Mitchell's work, you should learn. The guy's done some truly amazing stuff that makes this whole business look better. Had the opportunity to meet him a year or so ago and listen to his stories. I came away in awe of the guy.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Mitchell has done some good work, important work, but he's not so squeeky clean, according to my source.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I'm gonna need a little more information. What exactly are you talking about here?

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I heard one talk show host (either Limbaugh or Savage, I can't remember) say that this arrest was timed to divert attention from the arrest of a black suspect in an unsolved killing of a white San Francisco police officer.
    I shit you not.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Aren't the Bushies trying to pack the Attorney General's office right now, or something along those lines? I think I heard recently they were purging and replacing some legal branch(es), and it wasn't judges.

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

But it isn't the Clintons and the White House travel office, so it's not surprising that you haven't heard a firestorm from the liberal media.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Yeah, nice 'liberal media,' huh? What a crock...

Draft saved Draft deleted