1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there anything wrong with this Pro Football Weekly cover?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Feb 23, 2012.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sounds like it captured the story, which did/does involve race in part, particularly with what sounds like the article they did on black quarterbacks and the Cam Newton reaction. Seems like everybody's OK with the idea of talking about race until anyone actually talks about race.

Mike Freeman overreact to something? Get out!

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

As soon as I saw Freeman instigated this, I knew it was overblown.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

About 98.6% of people will voice their opinion without reading the article in full and seeing how everything fits (or doesn't fit) contextually.

Ain't gonna do it.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

[​IMG]

I like it a lot. Everything about it: headline, design, photos chosen, even the publisher's explanation. I'd obviously have to read the stories to determine the merits, but I don't find it offensive at all.

Well done, Pro Football Weekly, even if you haven't been up to your former standards since Joel Buchsbaum's death.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No.

If it weren't Freeman, I would say that this sounds like a case of newsies becoming upset when the Toy Department ventures outside of fun and games. Know thy place, etc., etc. But it was Freeman, a sports person. He should know better.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Without reading it...

If the story is, as the publisher says, about race, then it seems totally appropriate.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

My take, and I have a peripheral interest obviously, is: 1) It might not be overtly racist, but it's pretty lazy and 2) do we really need more black vs. white quarterback stories at this point? (My opinion: No.)

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Love it. The white QB has a black jersey, the black QB has a white jersey, the terms are on top of the color of jersey, illustrating that is really should not matter the race of a QB. The story addresses race, as per the editor. It's a bit on the envelope-pushing side, but not gratuitously.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Lazy? I don't think this is lazy at all. It pulls readers in and gets people talking about it, which is rare for Pro Football Weekly in the past decade or so. And we have no idea what the quality of that story might be. (Unless you've read it.) It sounds like it was more than just a column. Either way, you promote the stories you have. Can't blame the designer and headline writer for the content that they likely didn't have much to do with assigning.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Finding a picture of Luck in an all black uni....and RG3 in an all white uni....is definitely not lazy. Purely from a design POV I love that, and I love the contrast.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Let's turn it around, SF: Do you think Freeman was in the right for calling them out having only seen the cover and with no idea of the accompanying story?

Draft saved Draft deleted