1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is There Anything More Intimidating in Sports???

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

If you pit Pro-Bowlers versus Rugby all star players in what sport? Football? You are joking right?

And if they were that great of athletes, they'd be playing in the NFL or at the very least the NFL would be scouring those leagues looking for diamonds in the rough.

2. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I don't know what zagoshe wrote, so hopefully I'm not duplicating his thoughts (that'd be a big surprise). Most of these guys are top-class athletes who'd have no problem playing football, I'm sure. I don't know what those guys make, but I'd imagine it's enough to keep them playing rugby instead of football. Otherwise, I'm betting they'd do just fine in the NFL.

3. boots

boots New Member

For the punkasses, it is intimidating. For the badasses, it is a challenge.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Zagoshe, your argument is way off. These rugby players are world class athletes with absolutely no need to play american football, which many of them see to be a wimpy sport. In places like Australia and New Zealand, rugby is a tradition. When the NFL comes calling, none of them want to play.

Secondly, your reverence for american football is ridiculous. The rest of the world has their own traditional sports, the NFL isn't even on the radar screen.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Dr. Z, an old-time rugby guy, has addressed the question of why NFL teams don't go after rugby stars in his mailbags. I'm too lazy to look for a link but I know money was one reason. The high-end guys make good coin playing rugby.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yeah, the NFL comes calling to Joe Rugby star and offers millions and he says know because he thinks it is wimpy. Give me a break.

7. boots

boots New Member

What? the world isn't ready for some football?

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

NFL scouts have gone over to New Zealand and Australia to look for talent to bring into the NFL. The majority of people they offer contracts to are punters because rugby and Aussie Rules football players have some of the best legs in sports. I am saying that if you pit Pro-Bowlers against All-Star Rugby players in a game of Aussie Rules football, where the rules are kind of bent each way, without pads, it would be a close match. You get rugby players on a football field they will be destroyed, you get a team of NFL players on the rugby pitch, they will get destroyed. It's relative to the situation, but if you blend the sports like Aussie Rules football has (more rugby than football), it would be a good match-up.

A lot of the time it is national pride for what keeps a rugby player in the rugby circuit. They are solid athletes and world class at that. When you see a rugby match overseas on TV or live, you understand the magnitude of the situation. Many international rugby matches have the same occurrences as international soccer matches or matches between league teams.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

How did NFL Europe do?

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

As has been pointed out, top rugby stars make more money than they could playing in the NFL.

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

http://www.rugbymag.com/archive/2005/september/oppty.htm

This is just a little study, doesn't have the top players in there.

12. statrat

statrat Member

The Rugby guys make plenty of money and are treated like rock stars. They have no incentive to want to come over and be a fullback, punter or lineman on a football roster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.