1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there anything left that hasn't been turned into a sport?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I ask this question after seeing a local news report while in Michigan's Upper Peninsula about a special event held during one small town (redundant, because they're all small towns in the UP) over Fourth of July:

Dockdogs!

It's basically long jumping for pooches. Dogs jump off a dock, and you measure how far they've jumped. I believe they're also timed for how long they're in the air, and I believe there's a speed division for how fast the dog retrieves the tennis ball you've just thrown.

http://www.dockdogs.com

I had no idea how big-time this was.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's been around for quite awhile. I feel like I might have even watched a competition or two on ESPN years back.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was gonna say soccer.

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Good answer.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Competitive defecating.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Dude, I am the shit!

7. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Nice, armchair.

I'm actually covering part of the World Horseshoe Pitchers Championship in York, PA this week and next. :D

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Post padding.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Competitive flatulence.

Farts judged on volume as well as length. But the squirts lead to automatic dismissal.

"I knew I had to load up on Taco Bell in order to win," said a despondent Freddy Farter. "But that extra hot sauce ran right thru me. I knew as soon as the fart started I wouldn't be able to stop it."

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The lovely ladies of Harold and Kumar Go To Whitecastle would respectfully disagree.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Do you want to play battleshits?

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

The Cookie Game.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Wife-carrying has already been turned into a sport -
    http://www.sonkajarvi.fi/?deptid=15136

and it doesn't have to be your wife that you carry in the race. The rules state: The wife to be carried may be your own, the neighbour’s or you may have found her farther afield; she must, however, be over 17 years of age and The minimum weight of the wife to be carried is 49 kilos. If it is less than 49 kilos, the wife will be burdened with such a heavy rucksack that the total weight to be carried is 49 kilos.

But the best part of the sport is the prize to the World Champion: the world champions will receive the equivalent of the wife’s weight in beer

Draft saved Draft deleted