1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there anyone we don't hate at the WWL???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Floyd, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Yeah, the ACC fanboys are ftards.

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

The absolute worst. Embarrasingly bad. How-am-I-still-employed bad. One of the most personally satisfying parts of the new NFL TV contract was ESPN losing "Primetime," and Boomer losing that forum. I like Tom Jackson, but was SOO happy Berman got punked on that score. Thank you, NBC.

Berman has wayyyyy too much control and influence at ESPN in terms of how they cover and allocate resources for the NFL. In fact, in a funny and candid moment, Irvin was on the Dan Patrick radio show, and DP said he hadn't been allowed to cover, on-site, a particular Monday Night game. Irvin listened to that, and then jokingly replied "You're going to have to make sure you get it approved from Berman ahead of time for the next one." Exactly. As long as they rely on Berman to be their NFL 'foundation,' they will be crippled.

3. Floyd

Floyd Member

I personally think -- of the TV guys -- Brian Kenney is the best. He is the only interviewer I routinely see challenge his interviewees. Even if it's supposed to be a trite, PR-friendly chat on "The Hot List" or something, he asks great questions and follow-ups, and rarely lets anyone off the hook without an honest response. Wish more folks there did that.

As for Berman and Irvin -- I cannot watch ESPN's football coverage anymore because of them. How can they still let Irvin do EVERY T.O. interview? How is the bias here not obvious? It makes me sick. Irvin has absolutely no journalistic integrity whatsoever, which would be fine if he was simply an ex-player brought in for color analysis, but when he is asked to comment on important issues and interview key subjects in stories, how can you continue to employ someone whose judgement is so clearly clouded by personal relationships?

And I swear if I have to see one more clip of Berman golfing or Berman tossing a football around with Steve DeBerg circa 1988 or Berman doing some other god-awful self-serving crap in between his football highlights, I may just throw my TV out the window. And did you ever notice he wears short sleeves under his suit coat? I don't know why, but that drives me absolutely fucking nuts -- like how one of Shannon Dougherty's eyes is a little higher up than the other one. I just can't get past it. Fuck, I watch too much TV.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Absolutely. His tete-a-tete with Floyd Mayweather, Jr. was freaking awesome in this past year. Great, great job by him (and FMJ). He's top-shelf.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Freaking hillarious, Floyd. Awesome. One of the best short rants on Berman I've ever seen. And the Shannon D reference? Outstanding. The different-height eye thing has always been a HUGE annoyance to me as well. Yep, Boomer circa '88 going on an 'up' pattern from DeBerg or some 49ers QB is always nausea-inducing. Nice job by you!

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The more I watch Mort, the more I hate him... I get the sense with him that he just throws rumors against the wall and waits to be right on a few of them. In his dreams he's about 1/100th the reporter John Clayton is...

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm a Mort fan. He's not well-served on the tube -- he's so much of a print guy -- but I would never fault his competence, nor his work ethic.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We just crossed a major line here folks. No, not by anything still on the thread.
    Sorry, can't take a chance and babysit this one all night. I'm locking it up.
    Anyone who saw it before I got to it knows what I mean and will understand completely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.