1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is There Any More Loyalty in this Business?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fuh Real, Oct 9, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

For longevity at a paper - when is it loyalty and when is it being happy in an area you're living in and working in a good situation?

Of the four full-time deskers and four-full time writers on the sports staff where I am, the one that's been here the shortest time has been here about 13-14 years. He just got bumped up to full-time earlier this year. There are four of us who have been here 18-20 years and three who have been here 20-25+ years.

I can only speak for myself in that its a case of being happy in the area that I live and liking what I do at the paper.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

That's the sad thing: I loved my job. I was run off by a new SE who is insecure, egotistical, controlling and extremely temperamental. He made it clear he didn't want me there -- to the point of stealing, rooting through my e-mail and outright bullying. This guy picks fights with other staffers and is even argumentative to coaches. But management has basically turned a blind eye to all of it.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If he's stealing from you, why weren't theft charges filed?

I don't view stealing as anything that should be treated in a minor fashion.

4. HandsomeHarley

I couldn't prove it.

He hated UFC so much, he (allegedly) swiped my UFC beanie hat and trashed it. He was very vociferous about his hatred for UFC.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Should've given him a gift certificate to see an anger-management counselor for Christmas.

6. HandsomeHarley

I have something else in mind.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Upper-deckers also work. :)

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

So do Comet bombs, and there's no DNA left behind :D

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Never tried either, I must admit. The upper-decker tip I learned from SportsJournalists.com.

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Nothing says loyalty like an upper decker.

Draft saved Draft deleted