1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there any hope if I've lost my Tivo remote?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I don't know about TiVos in general, but ...

When my DirecTV TiVo remote fell about 2 inches onto the floor and somehow stopped working completely, I called up DirecTV to tell them my sob story. This was around 4 p.m. They say they can get me a new remote, and it should take about 3 business days. They also tell me there really aren't any authorized dealers in my area. So I'm not thrilled about having to control the box with the buttons on the box itself for a couple of days, but so be it.

Next morning, I'm harshly awaken from a dirty Scarlett Johanssen dream by the doorbell at 9 a.m. It's a dude from the post office, asking me to sign for a package. Obviously, I wouldn't be telling you this if it wasn't the remote. Not only that, but it was a new universal one that lets me control basically everything I have with one remote. And they never even charged me for it.

Love me some DirecTV after that.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

*sigh*

Mine doesn't have any buttons on it.

Oh well. :)

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I have nothing really useful to offer (shocked, I'm sure), but I would like to ask one thing: When you say you "lost" your remote, does that mean you can't find it or do you mean it's dead, as in we've lost uncle Fred?

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Can't find it. I had it at one point the other day. I don't have it now. Didn't walk out of my apartment with it. I think it vaporized.

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

There's some way, I believe, to make the remote light up by hitting buttons on the TiVo. I'm almost positive I had to do this once. Turned out the lights, hit the button and then went searching.

Maybe that'll help and I'll be wrong about my lack of useful advice.

Oh, and check the bathroom. Always the first place I look.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Ha! It's not in the bathroom. I don't have any buttons on my Tivo (am I the only person with no buttons? Is there a secret panel somewhere that I have to whistle "Pirates of Penzance" to get it to open?).

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You know as soon as you buy one and get it in your hands, that you are going to find the old remote.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i have no buttons on my tivo either. not a single one.

that said, the remote is probably under the cushions of the couch or chair, wedged in between the cushions and the couch or chair or under or behind the furniture. you can thank me later!

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Did you check all the applicable crevices -- both those in the apartment and those on your person?

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

First, second and third places I looked.

I think it vaporized. Seriously.

And OTR...how dare you! (yes)

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

you're not looking hard enough. you need to rip that couch apart

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Look:

-- In/on the refrigerator
    -- In the ovens, conventional and microwave
    -- In the pantry, other kitchen cabinets
    -- In the medicine cabinet